Operating System - HP-UX
1752802 Members
5874 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: User login sets env variable, but where from?

Russ Hancock_1
Frequent Advisor

The environment var is UGII_ROOT_DIR the installation path from Unigraphics CAD product....
I cannot find a .Xresource file.
and none of the files in /etc/rc.config.d/ contain this UGII....

Thanks for the help, any other things to check?
Russ
Piergiacomo Perini
Trusted Contributor

It's not possible that "UGII_ROOT_DIR" is set on "application server side" i.e. on some application's configuration files ?

regards
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor

Russ,

The .Xresources file is not there by default, since you are in a CAD enviroment I suspect this is your problem.

Just vi a new file or if I'm correct try this :

start a dtterm run in it dtterm -ls

does this new terminal session reflect your enviroment variables correctly now ?
Russ Hancock_1
Frequent Advisor

Alex, The dtterm -is does indeed set correctly, where as simply openning a dtterm is set incorrectly? Does this prove anything?
Russ
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

dtterm is unlike any 'normal' Unix login. Actually, xterm, dterm and hpterm all fall into this category. When you use Xwindows, these terminal emulators ignore normal login profiles by default. There are separate files used during login because Xwindows is primarily a graphics program and terminal connections are seldom used. OK, I know that's not the case, but the Xwindows designers seemed to think that. So when you use Xwindows, a different set of login profiles are followed which include .Xdefaults and other .X----- files.

To make Xwindow terminal emulators behave like normal Unix logins, use the loginShell environment variable as in:

echo "*loginShell: true" >> /HOME/.Xresources

Now the env variable you are expecting is not from HP-UX so it is definitely being set in the Xwindows profiles. Changing to loginShell:true should make everything the same. Now search your home directory for the env variable. It is very likely in a .X----- or a .dt----- file.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Ralph Grothe
Honored Contributor

Just another idea I got while last time fumbling with the PAM on my Linux box to enable LDAP integration.

Could it be that your users are obtaining their environment from such a name service or directory like an LDAP server?

Then apart from that also certain PAM modules could setup a user's environment on login.
Have a look at /etc/pam.conf for such a module (maybe named something like env.*)
Madness, thy name is system administration
Sandman!
Honored Contributor

Russ,

How about searching for a file named ".ugii_env" in the homedir of the user that owns the application.

regards!