5822 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: User ulimit settings

ktkt
Occasional Contributor

User ulimit settings

Hi,

I have an oracle userID that requires 3 settings as below to be set to unlimited.
-------------------------------------------
time(seconds) unlimited
file(blocks) unlimited
data(kbytes) 1048576 <- to be unlimited
stack(kbytes) 65536 <- to be unlimited
memory(kbytes) 8109376 <- to be unlimited
coredump(blocks) unlimited
nofiles(descriptors) 4096
vmemory(kbytes) 4194304
-------------------------------------------
My box has 8GB of physical memory so I guess it's maxed out.

I have set the data and stack to the largest value of "4398046511104" for the hard limit.

Is there any way I can specify a user X to have X ulimit settings and another user Y to have Y ulimit settings?
(Ie. AIX /etc/security/limit file )

I do not want another user to change his/her ulimit setting due to the uncapped hard limit.
4 REPLIES 4
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

>> have an oracle userID that requires 3 settings as below to be set to unlimited.

Nonsense. Says who?
Specifically an unlimited stack makes no sense.
Challenge the requirement and anything else coming from that source.

>> My box has 8GB of physical memory so I guess it's maxed out.

And the weather is nice here also.
What relevance does that have to the question?
Anyway, your guess should be better than ours.
You have the unfair advantage of knowing what kind of box the statement refers to.

>> Is there any way I can specify a user X to have X ulimit settings and another user Y to have Y ulimit settings?

Could you not set the max values to the highest value requested (typically roughly the size of physical memory or 64G or so) and leave teh default alone?
Then in .profile or .cshrc for the oracle user(s) request the max with a ulimit command? That way no user can accidendtly use it.

hth,
Hein van den Heuvel
ktkt
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

The Oracle DBA is requesting for the data, stack and memory settings to be set to "unlimited" as they are having some issues with their Oracle jobs.

-----setting for oracleuserid------
time(seconds) unlimited
file(blocks) unlimited
data(kbytes) 196608 <--------- Current is 196MB (to change to max. value OS allows)
stack(kbytes) 32768 <--------- Current is 32MB (to change to max. value OS allows)
memory(kbytes) 8109376 <---------- Current is max out already.
coredump(blocks) unlimited
nofiles(descriptors) 4096
vmemory(kbytes) 4194304
-----setting for oracleuserid------

The box on which it's residing on currently has 8GB of physical RAM.

I'm not too sure why the rationale data/stack to be set to unlimited but that's the answer that Oracle metalink/tech support suggested -> to set them to "unlimited".

My concern is whether it'll allow the oracle userid to chew up more resources than it should.

Any insight's to what recommended values for the data and stack to be set to for an Oracle user?
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

>> Any insight's to what recommended values for the data and stack to be set to for an Oracle user?

9i or 10g?

Yes.
Google: +tru64 +oracle +"best practice"
[I'm Feeling Lucky]
Page 13.

Double check / cross reference with

http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/html/A96167_01/toc.htm
specifically:
http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/html/A96167_01/pre.htm#CHDHGBGA
"Kernel Parameter Settings for Tru64 "

>> I'm not too sure why the rationale data/stack to be set to unlimited but that's the answer that Oracle metalink/tech support suggested -> to set them to "unlimited".

"luck of the draw".

Hope this helps some,
Hein van den Heuvel (at gmail dot com)
HvdH Performance Consulting
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

You might also want to get your DBA to check out Metalink note 169706.1, which used to have different settings to the installation guide. Unfortunately I don't have access to Metalink at the moment to check what it says...

https://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/f?p=130:14:9876207500692087032::::p14_database_id,p14_docid,p14_show_header,p14_show_help,p14_black_frame,p14_font:NOT,169706.1,1,1,1,helvetica#Tru64

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rob