cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Acrobat reader in batch mode on HP-UX 11.11 v1

Mike King_7
Advisor

Using Acrobat reader in batch mode on HP-UX 11.11 v1

We have installed Adobe reader 7.09 on our HP-UX 11i v1 system. It works fine using Xwindows sessions.

I would like to use it in a batch script solely for the purpose of converting pdfs to postscript.
Again I can do this fine with an xWindows client, but if I attempt with either a non graphic emulator or in batch mode I get the error "Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:".

Is there a way I can "fake out" my batch session" so that I can rune these conversions in batch mode?
3 REPLIES
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Re: Using Acrobat reader in batch mode on HP-UX 11.11 v1

In the past I've run something like this to print in batch mode:

cat sample.pdf | acroread -toPostScript | lp

I would think you could redirect the output to a file rather than piping it to lp.

Pete

Pete
Michael Sillers
Trusted Contributor

I've run into the same situation and while I haven't resolved it using Acrobat 7, I have been able to get it to work in Acrobat 5. There is a copy on one of the HP-UX disks - or at http://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobatreader/unix/5.x/hpux-507.tar.gz

You still need to open it once in Xwindows to agree to the license but once you do that, it will run in batch mode.

I've heard that 7 will run in batch mode if there is an X server somewhere on the network but I haven't been able to get it to work in our environment.

Ghostscript may also be an alternative depending on what you want to do.
Mike King_7
Advisor

I was able to get it to run in batch mode, IF the job is submitted from an xwindows session.

Still looking for what parameter in the batch file lets it work.

Any ideas anyone??