1753751 Members
5095 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Using SRDF to create boot disk

Craig Rants
Honored Contributor

Using SRDF to create boot disk

Has anyone ever used SRDF to create a san bootable disk for another server. Our theory is that we can use a current san boot disk attached to an emc frame, srdf that to another emc frame and when the time comes, break the sync and boot from another server from that. I am just concerned about the lif info on the that disk.

All thoughts are appreciated.
Craig
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is. " Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut
11 REPLIES 11
Robert Bennett_3
Respected Contributor

Craig

Check out this document

http://us-support3.external.hp.com/iv/data/documents/DE_SW_UX_swrec_EN_01_E/SystemRecovery.pdf

on pg 6 is a section on bootlif path verification.

Hope this helps

B
"All there is to thinking is seeing something noticeable which makes you see something you weren't noticing which makes you see something that isn't even visible." - Norman Maclean
Kent Ostby
Honored Contributor

Craig --

I'm not sure this would be considered a supported configuration by HP, but that aside, here are a couple of things about this set up.

#1) You'd have to boot with "hpux -lq" since you will have broken the sync and wont have all the disks available.

#2) I heard of a customer doing this one time by doing a "full incremental sync" prior to doing the break.

Hope that helps.
"Well, actually, she is a rocket scientist" -- Steve Martin in "Roxanne"
Craig Rants
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the responses, the thing I am looking for is if lif information get copied in the srdf process. My initial thought is that it does not, but never having done this myself...
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is. " Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut
Kent Ostby
Honored Contributor

Craig --

Sorry .

The answer is yes, that the LIF is copied, because the SRDF is a bit for bit copy at a hardware level.

Best regards,

Oz
"Well, actually, she is a rocket scientist" -- Steve Martin in "Roxanne"

Craig,

Haven't done it myself, but have been giving it some though for some customers recently... I'm sur it could be made to work, but I doubt it would be very elegant for one main reason - Given the way that HPUX maps hardware paths in a SAN, the hardware path to the boot disk is unlikely to be the same on the host attached to the 2nd Symm - this has two important consequences:

1. Sometimes the contents of the AUTO file on a LIF volume contain a hardware path - obviously the boot isn't going to work if it does - thsi isn't too bad as the AUTO file doesn't HAVE to contain a hardware path, but secondly:

2. Hardware paths govern disk device file names, which will also change - which pretty much inevitably means that the root volume group wouldn't activate - you would need to always boot to LVM maintenance mode and reconstruct the root VG and then reboot again in order to boot your RDF'd image - to me this seems more hassle and risk than just keeping an ignite image and a fast tape drive to hand.

But YES in theory you could make it work.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Craig Rants
Honored Contributor

Duncan good point about the paths, I though I would install HPUX on the disk prior, the use it as a SRDF disk, just to see what happens, it is just all theory right now ...
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Just make sure your SWAP is on another disk and NOT SRDF'd.

live free or die
harry d brown jr
Live Free or Die
Craig Rants
Honored Contributor

Harry,
Why do you say that about the swap?

Well you wouldn't want to be paging/swapping to a SRDF'd disk - what would be the point?

- The SRDF would slow up the paging/swapping process slightly

- You'd be replicating data which is completely useless to your other symm nothing in swap space is retained across reboots.

SO either keep swap on an internal disk, or at least on a non-SRDF'd disk. I personally like the idea of swap being on internal - that way if you have some kind of panic and TOC during boot (maybe caused by the SAN??), you can get at the resultant dump on a local disk, as long as you have a recovery CD.

Of course your memory should be suitably sized that you NEVER have to do any significant page outs or swap anyway.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo