108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Using samba to copy files from windows XP

SOLVED
Go to solution
Chushia
Frequent Advisor

Using samba to copy files from windows XP

We have an HP-UX box that serves as Samba server to allow Windows users to move files to or from the HP server. I noticed when copying file between Windows (XP) and HP-UX, the time stamp on the dstination file is not new but rather the time of its source file. Is there a way to make it work like ftp, to have the new file (at destination) to have time stamp of "create time" ?

Thanks,
Chushia
4 REPLIES 4
eric roseme
Respected Contributor

Re: Using samba to copy files from windows XP

Check out "dos filetimes" in smb.conf - it should do what you want.

Eric Roseme
Hewlett-Packard
Chushia
Frequent Advisor

No it doesn't work. A file (time stamp 2004)I copied over will have timestamp 2004. I'd like to see aug 10, 2006.
OldSchool
Honored Contributor
Solution

This isn't a samba thing, its the way windows works. You're seeing the file modification time in explorer.

try copying a file from one location to another on your "C" drive. The timestamp on the copy *should* be the same as the timestamp on the original.

now, in windows explorer, select the destination file used above, right click and select properties. note that the "create" and "accessed" stamps are what you would expect, and the modification time matches the original's. the fact that you copied it, regardless of source, does not imply that it was modified.

Chushia
Frequent Advisor

Hi SA,

Yes you are right. I just tried. I din't notice that windows works this way. Since I'm copyong on windows, I guess I'll not be able to see current time stamp.

Thanks, you answered my qustion.