Operating System - Linux
1753745 Members
4774 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Using ulimit to get corefiles (points!)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Heironimus is correct.

If the daemon's startup script does not contain any "cd" commands, the daemon's working directory is usually the same as the working directory of the process that started the script. If the script was executed automatically by the system startup scripts, the working directory is usually "/". Normally only root should have write access there.

Some security-sensitive daemons may be programmed to internally change their working directory to some safe location, usually /tmp.

If you are unsure, you can find out the working directory of any running process with "ls -l /proc//cwd". That is a (virtual) symlink that always points to the current working directory of that process.

MK
MK
Christian Deutsch_1
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks Hieronimus and Matti for your further explanations. I am not sure this is the correct explanation for the effects I am seeing. I will continue to investigate and let you know what I find out, Christian

If someone wants to play around and see if he gets the same effect: it is just the HP Operations Agent on RHEL5u1 x86.
Yeshua loves you!