New Discussion юеВ

VG00 on SAN disks

SOLVED
Go to solution
Vishu
Trusted Contributor

VG00 on SAN disks

Hi Guys,

I am running HP-UX 11.00 and having VG00 on two local disks. I have been assigned two new LUNs from storage and told to move VG00 to those new Storage LUNs and boot the server with these new LUNs. We are moving out those local disks.
Please provide the procedure to do this as it will help me in making a complete plan of it.

Thanks
13 REPLIES 13
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: VG00 on SAN disks

HI:

> I am running HP-UX 11.00

...which means that your operating system isn't even supported any more!

I don't believe that you even have hardware that would support this:

http://docs.hp.com/en/7408/HPUXSANBootWP_final_v2_update.pdf

Regards!

...JRF...
Vishu
Trusted Contributor

Hi JRF,

thanks for prompt replying as always, here is my server config:-

model - 9000/800/V2500
OS Ver - 11.00

I can see those LUNs in my ioscan output. Can you or anyone please provide a detailed procedure to accomplish this. i have never done this before.

That would be really appreciated.

Thanks
TTr
Honored Contributor

> I can see those LUNs in my ioscan output

That's not enough. You have to also see those LUNs at the console boot prompt. And you must check if the HBAs that you use to connect to the SAN are supported as boot devices. The doc that JRF provided has the information on page 4 but that's for 11iV2. You need to find something similar for 11.00 but as mentioned 11.00 is NO longer supported by HP. If you still want to do that, you have to do it by trial and error (ie reboot the SD and try booting from the FC interfaces).

As for the procedure you may want to look into using a tape with igniteUX or check out DRD.
Vishu
Trusted Contributor

check out DRD ?

if you need, i can give you more info of the server that can help us identify these things.

rebooting from FC -- you mean rebooting from the disk attached to that HBA.

Can you please help me in doing this activity.

Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi

You have to work from the BCH or boot console handler. You'll need a test box for this.

Note that I am incorporating the above responses which are correct, and only adding in some terminology that you should be familiar with.

Follow this procedure on the test box to get to the bch.

watch console
reboot
wait til 10 second interrupt message is displayed from console only
interrupt
BCH

This is what the others are referring to above. Type this command in

sea ipl

This command searchs for bootable devices. When your san boot lun is working you'll see it in this report. Note that this report is often slow but can be interrupt at any time. Just read the directions for the interrupt on the console screen.

If you can see your san from the BCH then you'll have to call the HBA manufacturer. Host Bus Adaptors in 11.00 were also call TD or tacyon host bus adapters. Use ioscan and ll /dev/td* or /dev/fc* to find your HBAs.

Use 'fcmsutil /dev/fc## vpd' or 'tdutil /dev/td##' to find the manufacturer's part number, firmware revision, etc.

When you have this information call HP HW support or search on the internet for a) is this a bootable HBA? b) what firmware, etc. is needed to become bootable? ETC.

At the same time contact your Disk array manufacturer for the same information. Your disk array may not support bootable devices.
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law

Honestly I think you need to go back to whoever "told" you to do this and question the sanity of this... you are running an unsupported version of the OS and you want to make a serious change like this? What happens if you mess it up - you won't get any support from HP... anything this old that you can't just get rid of needs to be left well alone.

If you _insist_ on doing this your first task would be to find out if your FC HBAs even support SAN boot - this matrix here will tell you, although you'll need to identify your HBAs first:

http://docs.hp.com/en/10260/FCI-SM-td3.htm

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Vishu
Trusted Contributor

well, i have checked that my HBA is SAN bootable and it is there in the link you provided.

I have A5158A HBA adapter. but it says you must have firmware TSSW 3.2 for V2500. i dont know how to see its firmware on my server. please guide me through this.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi (again):

I'm with Duncan on this. As we have both noted, first (and most important) your operating system is NOT supported anymore.

This idea falls in the category of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!".

Regards!

...JRF...
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Hi

Actual drivers for the a5158a, (* an hba many know very well BTW *) are checked and upgraded via swlist. Something like

swlist -l fileset / patch | grep -i a5158a
-or-
swliat -l fileset / patch | grep -i tachyon

All of your internet and itrc searches should now be based up the pattern a5158a. Here are three links that you'll find helpful.

http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1252624338715+28353475&threadId=726164

http://docs.hp.com/en/B2355-90691/fcmsutil.1M.html

http://docs.hp.com/en/J2635-90011/J2635-90011.pdf
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law