4499 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

VISUALIZE C3000 - no device file for 10/100base-tx core

Joachim Timm
Occasional Advisor

VISUALIZE C3000 - no device file for 10/100base-tx core

hello
I have installed 11i v2 on the C3000 and all workes fine, only the onbaord LAN-card will not work, there are no device files like /dev/lan0 ...
> insf -e does not generate the device file.
Is the 10/100base-tx core not supported with the btlan driver?
thanks to you
Joachim
4 REPLIES 4
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: VISUALIZE C3000 - no device file for 10/100base-tx core

11.23 is not supported on workstations, so your 10/100base-tx question would kind of be moot.
Joachim Timm
Occasional Advisor

hi Dennis
I have installed 11.23 and it works!
Only the Core Lan don't works.
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Yes, it is possible to install 11.23 on workstations, HP just doesn't support it. That means that there is very little information available about specific problems because very few people even bother trying it. I know of one other person who got it to install. I tried it myself, ran into problems (I don't even remember what problems) and gave up the experiment.

Basically, you're on your own.

Pete

Pete
rick jones
Honored Contributor

When 10.20 first shipped back in something like 1995 or so, it was announced that LLA (Link-Level Access) was going away in favor of DLPI (Data-Link Provider Interface). Device files a la /dev/lan0 are (were) artifacts of LLA. If you need/want to do link-level access you need to look into using DLPI primitives. A few lan device files persisted into 11.0 and perhaps 11.11, to sate the needs and desires, particularly of licensing software that used LLA to get MAC addresses, but I could easily see that by 11.23, when "workstations" were essentially gone (ignore the Office Friendly Server/Tower config of the rx2660 :) that the last of the LLA hand-holding was gone.

11iv2 should not need a /dev/lanN file for the onboard LAN card. If lanscan does not show it and ioscan -fk shows it as unclaimed, and there is indeed a btlan driver installed, either the 11.23 (11iv2) btlan driver doesn't claim it, or something else is amis.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows