New Discussion юеВ

Re: VM guest with vhand processes

SOLVED
Go to solution
Eric SAUBIGNAC
Honored Contributor

Bonsoir,

Really I don't think that growing entitlement to 95% has solved any problem. Entitlement should only play when you have cpu pressure from several VM Guests. In this case, the VM host will distribute the CPU to the VM in a ratio accorded to entitlement of each VM.

More : if you leave 95% as an entitlement to this VM, and if you stop other(s) VM(s), there is a strong chance that you will not be able to start again the stopped VM :-(

From memory point of view, ipcs shows that you take about 4.2 GB for SGAs. It is about 50% of the VM memory (9 GB ?) and it might be a lot depending on how others processes are using memory. It could confirm that you have memory bottleneck.

Since we are speaking of memory, you have posted "hpvmstatus -V" from the wrong VM hervmd01. I thought that you have problems with hervmd02. Right ?

Eric

Eric SAUBIGNAC
Honored Contributor

Oups ... forgot last question of your post.

"i think i need ... remove the disk and then re-assign them using avio option "

With "hpvmmodify -m" you can only modify the physical part of a ressource aasigned to a VM. You can't modify "scsi" to "avio_stor". So Yes, you are right, you will have to remove "hpvmmodify -d" then re-assign with "hpvmmodify -a"

"i think i need to export the VG ..."

If guest OS is 11iv2 you can avoid exporting the VG if you stop the VM before modifying backing store and carefully add back the virtual disks with the same bus / device / target than before removing. Then restart the VM.

If guest is 11iv3 and you use persistent DSF you will have to export-import the VG. Disk ID changes when you switch from scsi to avio_stor and a new DSF is created.

One more consideration : on a given virtual bus / device, you can't mix scsi and avio_stor. When one device is of type avio, all the bus / device is of type avio. Thus all devices on the same bus / device must be of type avio

Eric
Deepak Seth_1
Regular Advisor

yes , i send the wrong VM information .
But the entitlement of 95% is only related to number of CPU assign to this VM . Correct ?
(herhxv01 root):/> hpvmstatus -v
Version B.04.00.00
[Virtual Machines]
Virtual Machine Name VM # OS Type State #VCPUs #Devs #Nets Memory Runsysid
==================== ===== ======= ========= ====== ===== ===== ======= ========
hervmd01 2 HPUX Off 1 1 1 4 GB 0
hervmd02 3 HPUX On (OS) 3 7 1 10 GB 0
hervmd03 4 HPUX On (OS) 2 1 1 3 GB 0
(
Is the 95% of CPU entitlement means that a VM can go upto a 95% of CPU utilization in case other VM have free CPU or its just restricted to only the maximum defined in the VM .
Regarding the memory , this is a test server and very lightly used and still users complaint about its slow performance . Even i feel a slowness just typing commands.
i updated the correct hpcmstatus output .
Eric SAUBIGNAC
Honored Contributor

Bonjour Deepak,

Your latest hpvmstatus seems to confirm that memory is THE bottleneck :

- Memory pressure is 80. Page 141 of HP Integrity Virtual Machines Version 4.0 Installation, Configuration, and Administration "A value between 0 and 100 used as an indicator of memory deficit and paging. The higher the number the longer the system has been in a memory deficit. A memory pressure value approaching 100 usually means the system is hung."

- Comfortable minimum is 10234 MB. Same guide, same page "A value for ram_target which can be used to reduce the guest memory but allow it sufficient memory resources to continue running a minimal workload." Don't know exactly how "Comfortable memory" is computed, but I guess you should understand that 10240 MB is a minimum to allocate to your VM

- Current memory is 8250 MB. You should size it at leats to the maximum.

==> Don't known how many physical RAM you have on this host, but you should try to allocate many more than 10GB. Even, you should stop others VM and allocate the maximum you can to hervmd02 then determine what would be the correct sizing for this VM.

==> When others VM are not under CPU pressure, a VM under cpu pressure can goes up to 100% (not exactly, see below) of the same number of physical cpu than virtual cpu it has. Entitlement will only play when several VM are under CPU pressure.

From Integrity VM 4.0, there is a new entitlement properties which is max_percent that will cap VM's usage of CPU. So when I previously said that a VM can reach 100%, it is false. It is able to reach only max_percent of CPU only. Your VM is configured at 100%

Eric