108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VM

SOLVED
Go to solution
Grayh
Trusted Contributor

VM

I have a rx7640 with 4 processors & 8G DIMMS & to virtualize it...

How many max. vpars/ max npars can i have in this server.

How many vpars/npars do you recommend.

If I want to have 8 vpars... wat do u recommend.

10 REPLIES 10
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor
Solution

Npars are cell based so, with 4 processors, you're going to be limited to 4 npars. Whether it is better to distribute 2 vpars amongs those 4 npars or make 1 npar with 8 vpars, I honestly don't have a strong opinion either way. Perhaps someone with a more detailed background in virtualization can expand on the relative benefits.

Pete

Pete

Limitations as follows:

nPars - max in a rx7640 is 2 and that assumes you have 2 cell boards plus 2 core IO cards.

vPars - max of 8 per nPar - but you need to remember:

i) at least 1 CPU core per vPar is required...
ii) realistically you need a minimum of 2GB of memory per vPar - and even then you can't do much with that much memory...
iii) Each vPar requires a boot disk and a NIC. As you can't share IO resources below PCI slot level in vPars, that generally means at *least* 2 IO slots per vPar (unless you use COMBO cards with SCSI/LAN or FC/LAN on them.

For Integrity Virtual Machines as you can virtualise IO and share CPU resources down to 5% of a core, the hard limit is 256 VMs per nPar, or num_cores/0.05 whichever is the smaller but you will generally run out of memory way before you hit those limits, as you still need to work off at least 2GB per VM.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Grayh
Trusted Contributor

i) at least 1 CPU core per vPar is required...

>>How can I find out how many CPU core's I have

ii) realistically you need a minimum of 2GB of memory per vPar - and even then you can't do much with that much memory...

>>I have total 8GB memory... will this be ok to run 7 vpars

>>Would you suggest me to go for 2npars for 7 vpars or would you suggest me to go for 7vpars on a single npar

iii) Each vPar requires a boot disk and a NIC. As you can't share IO resources below PCI slot level in vPars, that generally means at *least* 2 IO slots per vPar (unless you use COMBO cards with SCSI/LAN or FC/LAN on them.

>>how can I find this out if my rx7640 meets the requirement

thank you

>>How can I find out how many CPU core's I have

Is the box currently up with HP-UX running on it? Is it currently all one partition? If so then:

ioscan -kfC processor

will tell you

>>I have total 8GB memory... will this be ok to run 7 vpars

No.

>>Would you suggest me to go for 2npars for 7 vpars or would you suggest me to go for 7vpars on a single npar

You're not going to get 7 vPars out of 8GB of memory. The absolute best you might manage is 4 vPars... even then you won't be able to do much with each vPar as 2GB of memory these days is hardly enough to run the OS, never mind any applications on top of it...

>>how can I find this out if my rx7640 meets the requirement

Again, if the rx7640 is currently just one system then:

ioscan -kf

should show you what you have in each slot...

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Grayh
Trusted Contributor

I wanted to Install HP-UX and create 4 vpars assigning 2 Gig to each...

To achive this task do I need any other s/w other then the HP-UX media(11.23)

DO I need to create a npar and then 4 vpars on it...

If anyone has does this could you plz give me the procedure
Grayh
Trusted Contributor

Cai I use a Ignite server to build a vpar
Grayh
Trusted Contributor

Opp's Sorry I mean an Npar
Grayh
Trusted Contributor

I wanted to reframe my questions ...

Do I need to have an OS to build a npar at all... and if so can I use 11.23 as the base os and build vpars with 11.23 on top of it...

can I use 11.23 again for the vpars build as well... and is it possible to use the ignite server to install the OS in the vpars..

Grayh,

You can of course use an Ignite server to install an nPar and vPars - in fact for vPars, the first OS image is created as a nPar and then converted to a vPar.

However, whilst I do admire your single minded determination to NEVER read a HP manual EVER, can I suggest you bend a little in this case and at least read chapters 2, 3 and 4 of the vPars admin guide here:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02029116/c02029116.pdf (BSC link updated by admin)

I'm sure you can read faster than I can type...

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo