New Discussion юеВ

Re: VPN connection

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ignite_2
Frequent Advisor

VPN connection

Hello,

Our customer requests to have VPN connection to HP-UX 11.23 server. Asks for a port number (to allow it on firewall), which isn't problem. Can you please advise, what service name should be assigned in /etc/services to this port?

Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Horia Chirculescu
Honored Contributor
Solution

I assume that you would use IPSEC to implement your VPN.

You should read the document:

http://docs.hp.com/en/J4256-90005/J4256-90005.pdf

Best regards from Romania,
Horia Chirculescu
Horia.
Hakki Aydin Ucar
Honored Contributor

Hi,
I ask my collegue here about VPN, so apparently you do not need to do anything with your servers.

You must configure your VPN Routers (that connected to servers) to establish tunnel with IPSec. So just need your IPs.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

For most companies, there is a secure VPN server at the firewall and your HP-UX computer is just one of the systems behind the VPN appliance. So the configuration (if any) would be in the VPN appliance. If your HP-UX system will be connected directly to the Internet, then there are a lot more steps needed to properly secure communication directly to this server. Is this system behind a firewall?

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Ignite_2
Frequent Advisor

Hi Bill,

thanks for response. Yse, the server is behind the firewall.
Horia Chirculescu
Honored Contributor

Maybe you should check the firewall's capabilities.

If the firewall can also act as an VPN server, would be the best sollution in this case (some of the Cisco router IOS -if it is the case- can do both tasks without problems). Otherwise, you should permit the VPN traffic to/from client at the firewall level. But I believe that this topic should not be covered here except for the situation when your firewall is some HP-UX system.

Horia chirculescu
Horia.
Ignite_2
Frequent Advisor

Thanks, you're right... this is different topic. I just needed to know, if there is some setup needed on server behind firewall. But as I'm reading, there's nothing to do for me :)

Thank you all...