8493 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Vgexport- Vgimport

subodhbagade
Regular Advisor

Vgexport- Vgimport

Hi .....

I am having the hp-ux server version 11.11 and sap application are running on ot.

I am planning for ignite recovery (make_tape_recovery ) to resize a root FS.

I would like to ensure the following---

(1)Is it necessary to export non root vg before doing make_tape_recovery (for root vg ) on server in pre-view mode (and crating a map file), sequence will be
#vgchange -a n /dev/lathapp
#vgexport
# mkdir /dev/vg01
# mknod /dev/vg01/group c 64 0x010000
After box is backup and online, use vgimport

(2) I believe, i am doing make_tape_recovery of root vg00 only,if vgexport not done before booting from tape so is it affect any (non root) vg after ignite recovery .

(while exporting vg it will remove all data concerning the vg from system).

(3)please suggest regarding vgexport/vgimport (syntax) before and after ignite recovery and refer attached doc for more details.

(4)what would be post installation steps.

Thank you kindly.
Subodh
3 REPLIES 3
likid0
Honored Contributor

Re: Vgexport- Vgimport

If you have JFS online and Mirror-Ux, you can try this to extend / online:
http://www.hpuxtips.es/?q=node/173

I have used it several times and it has worked OK, but you should allways make and ignite image before starting :D.

(1)Is it necessary to export non root vg before doing make_tape_recovery (for root vg ) on server in pre-view mode (and crating a map file)

No, it's not necessary to export the non root vgs, Whe you restore from ignite, in the ignite ui there is and option to importvgs it's on by default so it would do it for you, but it's a good idea to have a map of the vgs somewhere safe.

2) no it won't remove any data

Windows?, no thanks
likid0
Honored Contributor

Sorry just to clarify:

No, it's not necessary to export the non root vgs, Whe you restore from ignite, in the ignite ui there is and option to export/importvgs, it's on by default so ignite will import the vg for you, but it's a good idea to have a map of the vgs somewhere safe.

get a map with:

vxexport -v -p -s -m /tmp/map.vgok /dev/vgok
Windows?, no thanks
Ganesan R
Honored Contributor

Hi Subodh,

Not necessary. When you take ignite backup of root VG, obviously it is going to take all the non-root VG configurations(since all VG configurations are residing on VG00).

So when you restore it will restore all the VG configurations and inturn activate all the VG's.
Best wishes,

Ganesh.