108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Vgimport from hpux 11v2 to 11v3

SOLVED
Go to solution
chindi
Respected Contributor

Vgimport from hpux 11v2 to 11v3

Hi we hv migrated from v2 to v3 recently after which are facing tremendous perfrmnce issue.
After call with hp they are saying its filesystem issue
Could it be because of filesystem layout version change ?? 5 to 6 ?
Can i just do vgexport and vgimport using plain disks ??
5 REPLIES 5
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Re: Vgimport from hpux 11v2 to 11v3

It is usually recommended that older filesystem versions be upgraded to the higher version. However, I would not expect this upgrade to fix a tremendous performance issue. 11.31 has native multipathing, so if you are still running a multipath tool such as PowerPath, bu sure to unistall it and use the HP-UX code.

vgexport and vgimport use LVM and do not care about whether there are filesystems or swap or anything else.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
chindi
Respected Contributor

Hi Bill ,
But even in absence of powerpath , we have seen processes going in sleep for almost 45 sec doing nothing .
Our dba has awr report which says dbwriter process wait time was hopping 43 sec instead of few msec .
Wil upload awr in next 2 hrs .
Aneesh Mohan
Honored Contributor

since you migrated to new OS 11.v3 , can I know have you done Oracle pre-reqs like async i/o and filesystem mount options like convosync=direct..etc...Please verify that . Also you mentioned the process going to sleep , please compare process Forced CSwitch with VoluntaryCSwitch in glance if you have high VoluntaryCSwitch and wait reason show I/O mostly.

Aneesh
chindi
Respected Contributor

Hi Aneesh ,

We have done CIO for those filesystems.

Disk_aync_io false 

filesytem_options setall 

We will have a look at glance and update accordingly.

chindi
Respected Contributor
Solution

Hi it was filesystem version difference which was causing performance issues.

We had to remigrate al data from 6 to 7 vxfs filesystem , even vxupgrade didnt work for us.