6261 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Virtualization of linux RH4 on vmware 3.5

David_711
Frequent Advisor

Virtualization of linux RH4 on vmware 3.5

Hi,
I have a problema on vmware 3.5 and linux rh 4. I virtualized two linux servers that have the funtion of OAS (Oracle application server). The enviroment is fine, but i saw more load on the % Use CPU. Before the virtualization (Servers IBM with OAS), the system cpu load was between 5% and 8% and the user cpu load was between 10% and 17%, but now only the system cpu load are between 20% and 34% percent and the user cpu load between 15% and 20%. I am very worried about the system cpu load, because this is very high. I don't know why!.
Somebody have experience with this type of virtualization whit rh-OAS and vmware. Please some recomendation??.

My hardware is hp blade cx7000.
Thanks,
2 REPLIES 2
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Re: Virtualization of linux RH4 on vmware 3.5

I have seen a similar problem with one of our servers. I think that the problem is I/O related.

I noted also that RHEL 32 bits causes less load than 64 bits on vmware in my tests.

Ensure that you have vmware tools intalled. Ensure that you have the latest kernel available.

Suddenly, the current Red Hat kernel does not provides support for vmware paravirtualization. I tested with a linux.org kernel, but I must admit that the results where similar.

Probably, you will get better performance with XEN virtualization.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Nuwan Alwis
Valued Contributor

Re: Virtualization of linux RH4 on vmware 3.5

Yep, Its very true that if you want better Linux virtual environment use Xen. Also you can give it a try by enable "Para Virtualization" option for these 2 linux VMs.
This will improve your system performance.

Also when you talking about the loads here i guess you are refuring to VMs load. Check the Status of the ESX load also to identify any resource bottle necks.

Also if this is a trial version that you have upgraded to license dont forget to add all the patches for ESX.

This is also valid for the Linux OS as well

Good Luck..!