8525 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Volume group creation problem

Mahesh_10
Occasional Contributor

Volume group creation problem

Hi

I had created LUNs on the storage. While creation of volume group, t gives the error for one of the device as "vgcreate: Couldn't open physical volume "/dev/dsk/c8t0d4":
Device busy".
Sandesh
9 REPLIES 9
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

Re: Volume group creation problem

You sure this is the correct device you want to use for a VG? Is this device is use by Service Guard? Is a VG that has not been activated? Is it shared in any other fashion?

Do the vgdisplay -v command and pipe to grep looking for the device name

vgdisplay -v | grep c8
(This will list all the devices with the c8 pattern.)

Double check the device and make sure this is the correct device.
Mahesh_10
Occasional Contributor

HI
Thanks for prompt reply. I had checked but it has not been assigned to any volume group. It is fresh LUNS created.
Sandesh
Chan 007
Honored Contributor

Mahesh,

Do a pvcreate -f /dev/rdsk/c8t0d4 and then create the vg

Chan
erics_1
Honored Contributor

If you just created this lun, do not use the -f option first. This will overwrite the lvm header on the disk/lun if one exists. Try without -f first. If it's a new lun, it should take the pvcreate command by itself without options.

Eric
Mahesh_10
Occasional Contributor

When I had created pvcreate without -f option that time it has not displayed any message. Actaully after creating physical volume, it should show that physical volume has been sucesfully created, but I get normal prompt. After getting the error while creating vgcreate I tryied option of pvcreate -f on that device, but then again during vgcreate it gives error messsage of device busy.
Sandesh
Bharat Katkar
Honored Contributor

check if any IO is in progress on that disk.
# ps -ef | grep c8t0d4
See if any process running is using this disk.
Another way i think of is to reboot the server if possible and carry out the exercise again as sugested already.

Regards,
You need to know a lot to actually know how little you know
Mahesh_10
Occasional Contributor

There is no process running related to c8. I feel that I shld reboot the server & let's try. Tell me is it necessary to reboot the server after creating LUNs.
Sandesh
Sheriff Andy
Trusted Contributor

I had this happen before. It ended up that the ldev was shared to a windows box as well. You might check to see that your lun is shared only to who it is supposed to be shared to.

Mani K
Occasional Advisor

I understand that you are trying to create the new vg using this hard disk. why don't you delete /dev//group and create the group file again and try it out.

if possible , use " pvcreate -f " .
I hope you will success ..
Never Say Can't.........................