1752619 Members
4655 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VxFS version?

George N
Advisor

VxFS version?

How can I tell which version of VxFS is on a particular filesystem? I'm running 11.31. I have VxFS 4.1 and 5.0 installed (swlist shows this) but I'm not sure how to tell which version I'm actually using on any given filesystem. Thank you
6 REPLIES 6
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

vxupgrade /

or

for a in `bdf | awk 'print $6'
do
vxupgrade $a
done

Just remember if your bdf lines run over it might need to adjust the $6 on the print statement.

Rgrds,
Rita
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Try "fstyp -v". It presents a version which I think is accurate.

Pete

Pete
likid0
Honored Contributor

On the filesystem what you have is disk layouts

you can check your fs layout with:

fstyp -v /dev/dsk/lvol3

some info:

The on-disk layout of VxFS is versioned and upgradeable while the file system is mounted. It has gone through seven versions.

Layout version 2 added support for ACLs. Layouts 1-3 stopped being supported in VxFS 4.0.

Layout version 4 added support for storage checkpoints and for Veritas Cluster File System. Version 4 was released in VxFS 3.2.1.

Layout version 5 supports file systems up to 32 terabytes in size. Individual files can be up to 2 terabytes in size. Version 5 was introduced in VxFS 3.5.

Layout version 6 supports file systems and files up to 8 exabytes in size. Version 6 also introduced support for named streams/resource forks, for multiple underlying volumes, and for file change logs. Version 6 was introduced in VxFS 4.0.

Layout version 7 extends support for multiple volumes to permit Dynamic Storage Tiering. Dynamic Storage Tiering allows root users to move files among different volumes, allocate files to different volumes at file creation time based on policy, and independently recover volumes, without altering the namespace of the file system. Version 7 was introduced in VxFS 5.0
Windows?, no thanks
George N
Advisor

# swlist | grep -i vxfs
Base-VXFS B.11.31 Base VxFS File System 4.1 Bundle for HP-UX
Base-VxFS-50 B.05.00.01 Veritas File System Bundle 5.0 for HP-UX

# vxupgrade /tmp
/tmp: vxfs file system version 6 layout

So with version 6 layout, I am probably using VxFS 4.1 then. Got it.

I see this newly released patch, here: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01961742&dimid=1138355772&dicid=alr_dec09&jumpid=em_alerts/us/dec09/all/xbu/emailsubid/mrm/mcc/loc/rbu_category/alerts

And there are separate patches for VxFS 4.1, 5.0, and 5.01. Should I install only the 4.1 patch? Or install all 3? (Yes, I do have a 4+ TB filesystem so this patch is applicable to me).

Thanks again
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

I would attempt to install all 3 and let Software Distributor figure it out. If one isn't applicable, it will be excluded and only the matching ones will actually be installed.

Pete

Pete
George N
Advisor

question answered