3784 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Warning when istalling HP-UX

tazer
Occasional Contributor

Warning when istalling HP-UX

Hello,

I've a problem when installing HP-UX on HP B2600 workstation.

I got a warning meessage and sometimes errors when finishing the configuration.

I installed HP-UX on HDD 73GB and 36GB without a problem but now i have 300GB HDD and think there was a problem on my configuration. HDD 279.4GB  Memory : 3840Mb.

I attached images of the configuration i made and the warning message.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/RB5h3GB

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

The disk was used before and still contains data and is bootable.

Confirm now you want to clear data and install your OS:

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
tazer
Occasional Contributor

Hallo Torsten,

I made that but the system doen't boot, it keeps reboot itself.

I noticed that at the start i have to enter the command "boot" everytime to boot the system, something i didn't have on 36GB and 73HDD, also on those i don't have the warning message, that's why i thought it was something related to the 300GB config.

The installation is ABB AdvaCommand software based on HP-UX 10.20

Dhote3
Occasional Visitor

I am facing the same issue. Hope to get an answer from community expert. Pls, help.

Thanks,

Surendra Dhote

10.20 is from pre-history, but IIRC (and I possibly don't - this is from at least 20 years ago...) the HFS filesystem had a hard limit of 4GB in size (which shows its age) - possibly your other installs had smaller filesystem sizes?

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo

... or possibly the 4TB limit for HFS was in 10.01? 

ANyway the point stands - have you tried just installing with the same size filesystems as you used for the smaller disks? That would be where I'd start. With the exception of /, /stand and swap, you can adjust the sizes later from single user mode.

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
KishJ
HPE Pro

Hello,

I don't have any server/workstation with HP-UX 10.20 to check, so all that I am saying is based on the oldest version I have access to i.e. 11.11.

On 10.20, it is quite possible that there are limitations, yes, more than one. For example, to accommodate the bigger sized disk, the PE size will have to be increased. You need to check what is the max PE size supported on 10.20. 

Except lvols that need contiguous extents,  others can be extended later as well. 

As for letting the disk boot automatically while boot-up, we usually Run "mkboot -a "hpux" /dev/rdsk/cNtNdN" to update the boot area. Again, I am not sure if this needed on 10.20, you may check the man page.

I hope it helps. 

I am a HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

KishJ
HPE Pro

Hello again,

The warning message is for your information, particularly to warn you of existing data that will be over-written during OS installation. Depending upon the type of installation (cold install or upgrade), you may continue or quit. There is a way to force (therefore suppress) such a warning in command-line. 

I am a HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo