Operating System - HP-UX
1753663 Members
5632 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: What does it mean "swap on the end of a whole disk device"?

nataris
Advisor

What does it mean "swap on the end of a whole disk device"?

I notify some document. It told that hp-ux can set swap on the end of a whole disk device. I quit confuse what does it mean and what does different betweet swap on whole disk and end of disk?

please help me to clarify

thanks
2 REPLIES 2
щ╗ЮчЗГ
Valued Contributor

Hi,

There is an option "-R" used along with newfs command which will reserve a specified amount of space at the end of the filesystem for swap.This option decreases the size of the file system to be created by the given amount.The syntax is

"usr/sbin/newfs [-F hfs] [-R swap] special file"

This can be used while configuring disks in whole disk concept.(ie, without LVM)

Regards!

Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions
V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

Hi,

normally is a swap smaller than the complete disk,
So 1 GB swap in a 4Gb disk, or 10 GB swap in a 73 GB disk.
Then at time of creation of the swap there are maybe already 2 GB used for a file system. Then the swap can be created direcly after the file system or, with this option, at the end of a disk.
So for example: 73 GB disk - 20 GB file system, then 4 GB swap, the rest (49 GB) unused, then later a second file system of maybe 20 GB - so you have file sytem - swap - file system - free dsik space.
With the option swap is always at the end of the disk, so: file system - second file system - free disk space - swap.

HTH
Volkmar
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***