New Discussion юеВ

Re: What is compile and recompile?

SOLVED
Go to solution
senthil_kumar_1
Super Advisor

What is compile and recompile?

Hi All,

Does compile mean installing the software?

what recompile mean?
21 REPLIES 21
Viveki
Trusted Contributor

Hi Senthil,

Compile is a term used in programming language, which translates the program (say JAVA or C) to machine language (binaries) so that a system can understand that. Now a days, it also refers to translating source code written in a computer language into another computer language (the target language).

Recomile simply means, compiling the source code again (after correcting some bugs etc.)

senthil_kumar_1
Super Advisor

Does recompile mean compiling the software from already installed server (that is where the software is already installed)?

what is the software is used to recompile.

Sunny123_1
Esteemed Contributor

Hi

compile does not means any installation.
It just term of programming language.

Regards
Sunny
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Senthil:

No, "compiling" does not necessarily mean "installing". While compilation creates executable code from source code this may only be one step that is necessary to correctly configure a working environment.

"Re-compiling" as the prefix "re-' means equates to REpeating a compilation phase because the source code has changed.

Regards!

...JRF...
Viveki
Trusted Contributor

Compiler is used to perform both compiling and recompiling.

As already mentioned, recompile is only doing the compiling again and thus it is just another compiling.

senthil_kumar_1
Super Advisor

Still i am not clear.

I want to explain my situation.

We are running some older applications like Synergy and Unigraphics in HP-UX 10.20.

Now are in discussion about moving those applicaitons to HP-UX 11.31, that time my team lead told us for that we need to recompile the application.

so what does here recompile mean?

James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi (again):

> Now are in discussion about moving those applicaitons to HP-UX 11.31, that time my team lead told us for that we need to recompile the application. so what does here recompile mean?

In this context, "recompile" simply means that you want to take the source code (C, C++, Fortran, Cobol) and _compile_ it with a current compiler to generate object code (executables) that is tailored for the hardware on which you will be running. This also allows the generated code to be optimized.

Specifically in the case of HP-UX, instead of having to run PA-RISC code under ARIES emulation (and therefore sacrificing some performance) re-compilation of the source code into instructions native to the Itanium architecture will be beneficial.

Regards!

...JRF...
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> I want to explain my situation.

Already? I was expecting the guessing game
to continue for at least a whole day.

> [...]
> my team lead told us for that we need to
> recompile the application.
>
> so what does here recompile mean?

At the risk of appearing stupid, perhaps you
should ask _him_ what he meant.

> [...] Synergy and Unigraphics [...]

I assume that these are commercial programs,
and that you don't have the source code for
them, so perhaps he was trying to say that
the old programs will be useless on the new
computer, because you can't recompile them.

> [...] sacrificing some performance [...]

Even if you can use them with an emulator,
they may or may not be faster than they were
on the old computer.
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

"We are running some older applications like Synergy and Unigraphics in HP-UX 10.20.

Now are in discussion about moving those applicaitons to HP-UX 11.31, that time my team lead told us for that we need to recompile the application."

I'd suggest that you ask your "team lead" ... especially if you think *you're* going to recompile UniGraphics. Its commercial software and its doubtful that you have the source. Depending on what you mean by "Synergy" the same may apply.

You might want to recompile applications that use API's defined by the above. That *might* possibly depend on if you purchased / obtained versions of the above for 11.31 or tried to run them under ARIES as well