108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: What is compile and recompile?

SOLVED
Go to solution
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

>> "1) Normally one software is comming with lot of files, so do we need to compile each file?"

If you're buying 3rd party software (Like UniGraphics) then *you* don't usually need to compile ANYTHING. They supply you with the correct binaries (compiled code) for the OS you specify at purchase time. They (most likely) *don't* supply the source. If they did, it'd take a mountain of money, lawyers and "Non-Discloser" agreements

>> "2) For some softwares they are giving one install.sh file to install, here install.sh is taking care of compile, am i correct?"

Probably not (see above). What its probably doing is copying the binaries to the appropriate locations. It *COULD* be doing anything. Since it appears to be a shell script, then you could simply read it to see what it does.

>> "3)In our environment, unigraphics and synergy is coming with only only file or multiple files, if multilple files do we need to compile each file or is there any script like install.sh that will do compiling."

Again, you probably *won't* be doing any compilation of purchased / or third party software.. What they supply, as well as the installation instructions, is up to them. It could be something like "install.sh", it could be a "makefile", it could come as a software depot and on and on and on and on.....

>> "you are telling that "make" is doing compile of the source code, am I correct?"

depends on what's in the "makefile".

At this point, I can't tell if you've worked yourself up into a panic, or you simply are in over your head. I suspect that it may be the later....

In any case, given the statement:
"Now are in discussion about moving those applicaitons to HP-UX 11.31, that time my team lead told us for that we need to recompile the application."

one continues to wonder why you didn't speak with your "team lead" about this (and related issues). I have a suspicions about the reasoning. I'm sorry if that seems rude, its not intended to be.

Suraj K Sankari
Honored Contributor

Yes you are right.

Suraj