New Discussion юеВ

Re: What is /etc/freeze

SOLVED
Go to solution
Donald Kok
Respected Contributor

What is /etc/freeze

Hi,
I am ecouraged to use /etc/freeze on some files. I do have /etc/freeze on my systems, but there is not a man page for it. The forum doesnot have info either. Does anybody know what freeze does? Is it superseded by another prog?
Thanks
My systems are 100% Murphy Compliant. Guaranteed!!!
6 REPLIES 6
Chris Wilshaw
Honored Contributor
Solution

If memory serves, I think that this was an old utility connected to sendmail (there used to be a file created /etc/mail/sendmail.fc, which was the frozen version of sendmail.cf).

I've never seen it used for any other purpose, and I think that even this limited use died out after hp-ux 9.*
Ollie R
Respected Contributor

Hi Donald,

I found this link :

http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~mac/manuals/hpux-manual-pages/hpux/usr/man/man1m/freeze.1m.html

Basically, it freezes the sendmail configuration file on a cluster.

Hope this helps,

Ollie.
To err is human but to not award points is unforgivable
Chris Wilshaw
Honored Contributor

Donald Kok
Respected Contributor

I received the suggestion you could freeze a file, so you can later check if a file is tampered with. Now I know it is not.
Thanks
My systems are 100% Murphy Compliant. Guaranteed!!!
Ollie R
Respected Contributor

Hi Donald,

If you know a specific set of files that you need to keep tabs on then maybe you can use one or more of the following:
* the file modification time (though this can be faked using "touch")
* the file size (once again could be faked using padded spaces, etc.)
* the file checksum (see "man cksum" - this cannot be faked!!!)

This should give an indication of whether a file has been tampered with.

Ollie.
To err is human but to not award points is unforgivable
Marc Dijkstra
Trusted Contributor

Hi there,

Under HP-UX 11.04 (The virtual vault OS) there is the added TCB functionality of the mkfcdb, setfiles and integrity programs. This is linked to the trusted system and allows you to catalog what the permissions, owner group etc. of files is and check if they change.

I am not sure if this is available on standard HP-UX with C2 trusted system, worth a look though....

MND
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila"