Operating System - Tru64 Unix
1753629 Members
5486 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: What is the command to disable a service ?

shashi kanth
Super Advisor

What is the command to disable a service ?

With Tru64, what is the command to use to disable a service in particular/all run levels so that the service own't start automatically whenever i reboot the box ?

5 REPLIES 5
John Manger
Valued Contributor

One method is to rename the startup script for your application or service inside the relevant run-level directory. That way it will not be started at a particular run-level.

For example, you might rename /sbin/rc3.d/S80myapplication to /sbin/rc3.d/s80myapplication. That would prevent the application starting at run-level 3.

All scripts whose name start with an upper-case S in a particular run-level directory are executed in ascending order when init transitions to that run-level; renaming a script to start with a lower-case s prevents it being executed.
Nobody can serve both God and Money
Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor

Yes, that is one way. You could also rename the actual file that would be present in /sbin/init.d directory.
shashi kanth
Super Advisor

OK, I got the point, but i already know this information.

But i don't like the concept of manually renaming/moving rc*/init.d* files, since it some times leads to human mistakes.

I am looking for a command , something like "chkconfig" in Linux, which can do this task in Tru64.

Thanks.
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

As far as I'm aware there is no equivalent to the Linux chkconfig command on Tru64.

You have to manually rename or edit files...

Cheers,

Rob
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

you can add a check in your script to test if a "semafore" file is present.
then you only need to "touch "
to disable startup?
and remove the file for normal operation.