Operating System - Tru64 Unix
1752718 Members
5805 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: What is the difference in a Tru64 server

Craig Smith_14

What is the difference in a Tru64 server

Can someone give me some details on a Tru64 server, is their major difference from say from HP-UX 11.i N class, L class etc
3 REPLIES 3
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Tru64 is an different Unix flavor which only runs on Alpha processor.

Ex-digital folks, like myself, often like to think that the Alpha processor was the best thing since sliced bread.

However, despite great performance (outperforming PA-risc processors) and availability attributes it failed to become a commercial success :-(.

At this point, specific comparisons with HPUX / PA-risc systems are sort of pointless.
Either you have Tru64 and you are happy with it and stay with it for as long as possible, or you should stay with HP-UX or go to HPUX (on Itanium).

Just a personal opinion,
Hein.

Craig Smith_14

Thanks, Ok So I if I know HP-UX, Solaris and Linux and some AIX somewhat I should be able to pick up on Tru64, Which i think your saying is a different OS?
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

It's just a Unix flavor.
You'll soon enough feel at home.
Most difference will be in the BOOT and IO management space. Shouldn't take too long to pick up.
Myself I went the other way around. i learned Tru64 first, then HPUX then various Linux variants. Annoying at times, but not too hard. Tru64 often have MORE than the others (more options on tools and so on) which would help you.

Do you know the rosetta stone for Unix?

Check it out, it is handy when moving around between various Unix flavors.

http://bhami.com/rosetta.html

hth,
Hein.