Operating System - Tru64 Unix
1748203 Members
3096 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Where Can I find True64 5.x OS messages/log files?

SOLVED
Go to solution

Where Can I find True64 5.x OS messages/log files?

Hello There,

I'm HP RCE working for the HP OpenView OmniBack/Data Protector team. I have a customer with an Alpha Server running True64
5.0 connected to an HP SAN.

Customer is having weird behavior with all eight Ultrium Drives belonging to an HP SureStore E 10/180 tape library, which is also
attached to the SAN.

After Data Protector access the Drives and I/O
error ir reported and the /dev/ntape/tape* devices are not longer available.

I'm not a True64 guy, customer told me that they have to run "hwmgr -del component",
"hwid" and "hwmgr -scan scsi".

I think the above commands remove and recreate the devices.

Question :

1.- Where can I find the OS messages or log files?

Example :

HPUX : /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log
Solaris : /var/adm/messages

Something is telling me that there is something
wrong at the OS level.

Thanks,

Alex Rodriguez
Senior Engineer
HP OpenView DP/OBII
5 REPLIES 5
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hardware errors could be found by using

# uerf -R

or

# dia

or

# ca

depending on your type of Alpha revision.
Errorlogs are within the directory

/var/adm/syslog.dated

or generic messages:

/var/adm/messages

BTW: On each unix there is a link to the error messages within /etc/syslog.conf file which is part of the syslog system.
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Anders Kile
Occasional Advisor

Is HP SureStore E 10/180 supported on T64 v5.0?
I'm not so sure.
See if you can find any relevant entries in /etc/ddr.dbase.
Thomas Sjolshagen
Occasional Advisor

Well, it isn't supported, but it will be treated as a generic SCSI-3 compliant serial access device by Tru64 UNIX (to get it to behave "better" you'd need to get somebody in engineering to create a ddr.dbase entry for the devices and changer). You'll want to check the /var/adm/binary.errlog (a CDSL pointing to /var/cluster/members/memberX/adm/binary.errlog) using Compaq Analyze (just changed the product name, and I don't rememeber what the new name is, but CA will get you there) looking for SCSI events, or /var/adm/messages. (also a CDSL) It's unlikely that there is any real information in any of the other syslog files (all stored - for 5 days - in /var/adm/syslog.dated// or - depending on the application doing the logging (some apps don't "adjust" to Tru64 UNIX when tampering with the syslog.conf file and insist on dumping information into /var/adm/syslog/).

Lastly, the X in "memberX" = the system's member ID, if it's a non-clustered system, the ID = 0.

// Thomas

I see HP SureStore 10/180 is supported for True64 on the Dp 5.0 Device Matrix, the auto-configuration and devbra are not. However, in my case, the robotic arm is control by the HPUX Cell Manager box, since everything is connected to the SAN, the Alpha box is just seeing the Ultrium Drives, which are alre supported on True64 platforms.

Last Friday I spoke with an HP/Compaq Alpha-Tru64 engineer at the customer site and he confirmed me that there is something wrong within this box or the OS, they should be installing some True64 patches this week.

PS: Not even tar is working fine, it works at first, as soon as the medium is unload and reload for the second time from the Drive, the tar stops working and reports I/O errors.

Thank you all.

Alex.
Thomas Sjolshagen
Occasional Advisor

Alex,

Tru64 UNIX support is limited to the 2nd generation LTO devices. To verify whether Tru64 UNIX supports a device, check the OS and platform support matrix, *not* only the application's matrix as they do *not* perform the same level of qualification for LTO devices as Tru64 UNIX engineering does. We've had every backup ISV who runs on Tru64 UNIX claim that Tru64 UNIX and LTO I was "supported" (ie, they were able to rudimentary read/write operations against the device), but the engineering qual failed miserably and as a result, Tru64 UNIX/AlphaServer does *not* support LTO I. This does not represent the first time that specific scenario played out (nor is it probably the last :).