System Administration
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where can I find more information on the following log entry?

Peter_505
Advisor

Where can I find more information on the following log entry?

From A RHEL 3 Dl380 G4 SAS server with a U320 controller:

Mar 19 07:13:17 lark kernel: mptbase: ioc0: WARNING - IOCStatus(0x0007): Invalid Field

Sometimes I see 0x0002 and other values... where are they defined?

TIA
5 REPLIES
skt_skt
Honored Contributor

Re: Where can I find more information on the following log entry?

find which package mptbase belongs to and..
Peter_505
Advisor

Thanks for nothing, mptbase is not a package, it's part of the kernel installation.

[root@quark /]# locate mptbase
/lib/modules/2.4.21-32.0.1.EL/kernel/drivers/addon/fusion_20505/mptbase_20505.o
/lib/modules/2.4.21-32.0.1.EL/kernel/drivers/addon/fusion_20511/mptbase_20511.o
/lib/modules/2.4.21-32.0.1.EL/kernel/drivers/message/fusion/mptbase.o
/lib/modules/2.4.21-32.0.1.ELsmp/kernel/drivers/addon/fusion_20505/mptbase_20505.o
/lib/modules/2.4.21-32.0.1.ELsmp/kernel/drivers/addon/fusion_20511/mptbase_20511.o
/lib/modules/2.4.21-32.0.1.ELsmp/kernel/drivers/message/fusion/mptbase.o
/lib/modules/2.4.21-40.ELsmp/kernel/drivers/message/fusion/mptbase.o
/lib/modules/2.4.21-40.EL/kernel/drivers/message/fusion/mptbase.o
/lib/modules/2.4.21-50.ELsmp/kernel/drivers/message/fusion/mptbase.o
/lib/modules/2.4.21-50.EL/kernel/drivers/message/fusion/mptbase.o
Justin_99
Valued Contributor

Might try with www.lsi.com

Quick google also returned this from an Intel page. May not be the same thing, but could point you in the right direction. Might have processes/application not clearing IOCTL status flags similar to case below.

Defect fixes
â ¢ Issue: Incorrect Inquiry data returned as a result of a ssp passthrough Inquiries.
Reported by: Customer
To Reproduce: Have a OEM System Health agent running on a system with a PCI-E SAS host adapter with a disk drive attached. Run a script that repeatedly issues ssp passthrough Inquiries to the SAS disk drive. Note that some of the Inquiries only return 4 bytes of data and the data is incorrect.
Description of Change: Changed code top clear driver IOCTL status flags before each IOCTL request is issued, instead of after. Some IOCTL requests were not clearing those flags so that subsequent request completions were examining stale data, causing the command to fail with no status data. The issue only occurred with PCI-E SAS HBAâ s since they return an IOCStatus of 0x07 (Invalid Field) whereas PCI-X SAS HBAs return IOCStatus of 0x02 (Busy) for Toolbox commands with ISTWI_READ_WRITE_TOOL that are issued by the System Health agent.
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Install the "kernel-source" package that matches your current kernel version. Then look into /usr/src/linux-/drivers/message/fusion directory. The text "Invalid Field" comes from line 7132 of file mptbase.c.

The value 0x0007 is from the ioc_status variable, which is read from the I/O Controller hardware.

You would need the hardware programming documentation to go any further than that.

MK
MK
Peter_505
Advisor

Nothing in life is simple, thanks all.

I'm assuming the IOCStatus of 0x0007 deals with the MSL 6030 library doing it's POC/inventory and not responding to any controller commands.

Will research further.