cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does swinstall sometimes output more progress messages

Ken Englander
Regular Advisor

Why does swinstall sometimes output more progress messages

It seems like swinstall is not consistent about when it outputs messages similar to the following. I am mostly working with HP-UX 11i v3 now, so I do not know if this has happened with v2.

Installing fileset "PHCO_39662.KERN-JPN-E-MAN,r=1.0" (325 of ...

It does write the messages to swagent.log, but it seems almost random as to whether or not these messages are displayed on the "terminal" where the swinstall command is run.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ken
4 REPLIES
Bob E Campbell
Honored Contributor

Re: Why does swinstall sometimes output more progress messages

Hi Ken,

The big change on 11.31 is that a new command is hidden under updates and installs. The swm(1M) command is not going to be replacing swinstall(1M) for user tasks but introduced more than one level of verbosity. It is possible that the swinstall "-v" and the swm install "-vvv" are at the heart of the problem.

I will ask around. It is likely that the swm defaults can be managed from the defaults file.
Ken Englander
Regular Advisor

Hi Bob - I remember getting the chance to see you at HPTF a few years ago. Thanks for the feedback!

It would be kind of nice to control it.

Now that you mention it, I remember seeing something about the "-v" option with update-ux, I think.
Bob E Campbell
Honored Contributor

Yup! Didn't we have you out to Ft Collins before?

Anyways, the use of swm was supposed to be hidden but you might be seeing something we missed. If you can describe a case where you used to see it but don't on 11.31 that would help.

I do know that cold-install and GUI would always show filesets, but I can't remember if that was ever normal for a basic install off the command line. My days of installing bits 50 times a day are a fading memory ;-)
Ken Englander
Regular Advisor

Never been to Ft Collins, but I was in Houston and Orlando at the HPTFs there.

I've been using swinstall directly from the command line (not cold-installs or update-ux) and it seems to behave differently on different systems even though the systems SHOULD be basically the same. Its not a big deal, but I just wondered if it was controllable or a known issue.

I bet you are glad not be doing installs all the time!