108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: World Readable NFS Mounts on HPUX 11.31

SOLVED
Go to solution
Shawn Zehnder
Advisor

World Readable NFS Mounts on HPUX 11.31

I'm having problems with NFS on HPUX 11.31. I can set up NFS and get it working but the security seems more dumbed down than on prior versions. Maybe it's me and I'm just not seeing it. I first noticed the /etc/exports file no longer exists so there must have been a major release on HPUX 11.31. I set up the file share using a specific user while allowing Read/Write to only two clients. Now the Read/Write works for only those two clients with that user. However, I can mount those shares as read only on any server in our domain. How do you keep NFS from exposing the shares to multiple systems? Thanks in advance for your help.
# cat /etc/dfs/sharetab
/oraprd1/reports - nfs anon=4223,sec=sys,rw=myserver.mydomain:otherserver.mydomain,ro=,window=0 none
2 REPLIES 2
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

>How do you keep NFS from exposing the shares to multiple systems?
/oraprd1/reports - nfs anon=4223,sec=sys,rw=myserver.mydomain:otherserver.mydomain,ro=,window=0 none

If you want to limit the systems with R/O access, you need to list those systems in your "ro=" list.
Shawn Zehnder
Advisor

HP support responded and was very helpful. I think there's a bug in smh that's not completing the /etc/dfs/dfstab properly. I removed the extra garbage that smh added and everything seems to work. Thanks for your response.