Online Expert Day - HPE Data Storage - Live Now
April 24/25 - Online Expert Day - HPE Data Storage - Live Now
Read more
System Administration
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Write a tar file ddirectly to dvd

chindi
Respected Contributor

Write a tar file ddirectly to dvd

hii guys,

i want to write a file say of 8 gb from my server directly to a dvd ..

How can i do it ???
i mean can i just mount a blank dvd and den write my contents in this dvd......
8 REPLIES
Hakki Aydin Ucar
Honored Contributor

Re: Write a tar file ddirectly to dvd

I never used this in HP-UX but, I want to remember 8GB a bit too much for normal DVD , but you need either double layer DVD and supported driver OR a program to split data as two parts on DVDs.
chindi
Respected Contributor

Re: Write a tar file ddirectly to dvd

Hi Hakki,

Say the file is of 5 gb ..
can u tell methe steps as to how to do it ????
Hakki Aydin Ucar
Honored Contributor

Re: Write a tar file ddirectly to dvd

AS far as I know , I am going to share with you, try it;

First mount dvd with empty media inside :
# mount -F cdfs -o cdcase /dev/dsk/c3t2d0 /dvddrom

(dvdrom directory must be exist if not mkdir /dvddrom)

then make ioscan to find device name of DVD;
# ioscan -fnCdisk
(note that dvd writer)

then tar copy;
# tar â xvf /dev/rdsk/cxtyd0
Ralph Grothe
Honored Contributor

Re: Write a tar file ddirectly to dvd

Hi chindi,

if you say "directly" then I would assume that you meant directly, and that there was no real need to first create say an ISO image that you then burn on the dvd (viz. mastering).

I have to admit however that I never burned DVDs under HP-UX. But I would think that the deviations from Linux aren't that big in that respect.
I have written a few raw tar dumps onto an unmounted CD under Linux some years ago and that worked well.
So why shouldn't it work under HP-UX as well?

Provided the buffer is chosen big enough (though modern drives seem to have buffer underrun features) one could directly pipe into cdrom like so:

# cd /tree/to/dump && tar cf - . | gzip -c | cdrecord dev=1,0,0 fs=4m speed=4 -

The syntax for growisofs or other burning/mastering programs of course may vary (consult their manpage).

To read from such a dump you would insert the disk in the drive (say /dev/cdrom) without mounting it (which wasn't possible anyway) and then issue something like

# cd /tree/to/where/extract && gzip -dc < /dev/cdrom | tar xf -

Madness, thy name is system administration
V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

Re: Write a tar file ddirectly to dvd

Hi,

this is the HP-UX tool:
https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=HPUXDVDWRITE

This product is available for HP-UX 11i v1 (B.11.11) and 11i v2 (B.11.23) using HP DVD+RW drives only.

And - DVD max. is still 4,7 GB (also with HP-UX ;-) )

HTH
V.
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Re: Write a tar file ddirectly to dvd

> And - DVD max. is still 4,7 GB [...]

Roughly 8GB with "DL".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD%2BR_DL
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Re: Write a tar file ddirectly to dvd

From the download page:

June 2005: The download has been updated to include a copy of a newer mkisofs which supports larger than 2GB images, but less than 4GB.

Also, it appears that only HP branded DVD writers are supported and they are not dual layer capable.


Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Re: Write a tar file ddirectly to dvd

> June 2005: [...] a newer mkisofs [...]

I know nothing, but the latest mkisofs is
somewhat newer than June 2005.

http://cdrecord.berlios.de/private/cdrecord.html

And this whole "directly to a dvd" scheme
didn't seem to involve mkisofs. (Or did I
miss something?)

> [...] | cdrecord [...]

It did seem to involve cdrecord, however, and
so, if I were trying to write a DL disc, I'd
probably try to use a version of cdrecord
which is new enough to know what "DL" means.
I wouldn't want to bet on it, but I believe
that I used one of the earlier beta versions
of cdrecord to write a DL disc on one of my
VMS systems, so, if the current released
version can be built on HP-UX, then I'd say
that it has some chance of working there,
too (given an appropriate drive, of course).

> [...] are supported [...]

As always, "are supported" and "work" are
spelled differently for a reason.


> [...] my server [...]

Not a well known quantity.