108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Writing to windows from HPUX

SOLVED
Go to solution
Charles Holland
Trusted Contributor

Writing to windows from HPUX

I'd say within the last 18 months there was an article in the forums on how to set up a CIFS mount to a W2k8 server without going through all the CIFS commands of cifslogin, clifsmount, etc...

I have looked and looked but can't find that article. I have even used it successfully but can't find the article now.

Any help on locating it would be appreciated.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted" A. Einstein
5 REPLIES 5
Wim Rombauts
Honored Contributor

Re: Writing to windows from HPUX

What is the problem with cifsmount and cifslogin ? You only need to execute them once :
root# cifsmount -s //server/share /mountpoint
user$ cifslogin -U -P -s //server

This will store the mountpoint and the login credentials, and when your server ever reboots, the mount is made automatically again, and when your user (user$) ever needs to access the cifs mountpoint, it will log in automatically. No manual intervention anymore.
Zinky
Honored Contributor
Solution

cifsmount //win2k8/share /unixmnt -U winuser -P winpass -s

cifsmount -M

cifslist

cifsdb

Hakuna Matata

Favourite Toy:
AMD Athlon II X6 1090T 6-core, 16GB RAM, 12TB ZFS RAIDZ-2 Storage. Linux Centos 5.6 running KVM Hypervisor. Virtual Machines: Ubuntu, Mint, Solaris 10, Windows 7 Professional, Windows XP Pro, Windows Server 2008R2, DOS 6.22, OpenFiler
Charles Holland
Trusted Contributor

Well I found my original inquiry http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1427884 but for some reason I can't get it to work now.

Wlm
I tried your process the cifsmount worked fine but then you get to the 'user$'. which is a different user that root. I know the windows user I want to log in as, and I also know that users password, but I continually get "SRV: Bad password" and I know the password is correct. It is the "GOD" on our domain.

Alzhy
Pretty much the same results... I modified the process to verify it

# cifsmount //vpixos01:/x /tmp_mnt -U bubba
bubba's password on vpixos01:
SRV: Bad password
SRV: Bad password

and got the same results. Just to be extra certain I logged into a different windows server with the user/password combination and had no problem.

Well I tried one more thing (actually 2) I first did a cifsmount //vpixos01:/x /tmp_mnt
. Which mounted it. I then did a
cifslogin -U bubba -P redneck -D dom.ain //vpixos01/x and it apparently worked as I can now see what is in the shared drive.
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted" A. Einstein
Zinky
Honored Contributor

Make sure your Win2K8 has that patch too... I forgot the Microsoft Patch though but your WIndows folks should know it.
Hakuna Matata

Favourite Toy:
AMD Athlon II X6 1090T 6-core, 16GB RAM, 12TB ZFS RAIDZ-2 Storage. Linux Centos 5.6 running KVM Hypervisor. Virtual Machines: Ubuntu, Mint, Solaris 10, Windows 7 Professional, Windows XP Pro, Windows Server 2008R2, DOS 6.22, OpenFiler
Charles Holland
Trusted Contributor