108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: X server

SOLVED
Go to solution
Manuel Lopez_1
Occasional Contributor

X server

I am getting an error message on the console when starting X windows desktop login. The login prompt does not appear only this message: "The X-server can not be started on display hostname:0"

I checked the /var/dt/Xerrors logfile and it shows this messages: "Unable to resolve DDX Broker bids!: /usr/lib/X11/Xserver/brokers/screens" & " X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown"

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
6 REPLIES 6
Charles Harris
Super Advisor
Solution

Hi,

Have you tried manually starting your X server without a window manager to see if you get any other errors? - Is this the HP version of X or GNU/Linux ?

Cheers,

-ChaZ-
Charles Harris
Super Advisor

Hi,

Another thought...

It sounds like there is a problem with your X configuration, from checking the web: make sure your libraries are all available / installed correctly and check for X server patches, there appear to be a few references to DDX fixes / updates.

What version of HPUX are you running BTW?

Cheers,

-ChaZ-
Manuel Lopez_1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Chaz,
I am running HP-UX 10.20 and starting the system without Xwindows at the command line works fine. Also there are 2 xterms connected that work fine and receive the login prompt with no problems. Have tried stopping and restarting the dtlogin.rc script to no avail.

Thanks
Joseph C. Denman
Honored Contributor

Where's ALEX when you need him???

1. check the Xservers log file /var/dt/Xerrors for clues.
2. check hostname resolution backward & forward are OK, if using DNS disable and use just /etc/hosts.
3.check permissions : use dr_dt CDE diagnostic tool.
4. Gotcha's check /usr/dt/config/Xservers and /etc/.../Xservers (if it exists) make sure * Local local@console ..... is uncommented ! if not ..do it and re-start X
5. check mouse and keyboard are OK plugged in
6. graphics device files : rmsf /dev/*crt* and re-create using : insf -evd framebuf.
7. Start X by itself : /usr/bin/X11/X :0 what error do you get, if it works problem is with CDE, to kill use

If I had only read the instructions first??
Rick Beldin
HPE Pro

All of the previous responses have good suggestions. I'll throw in a few others.. ...but first two questions I always like to ask:

Was this working at one time? If so, what has changed recently?

- if you are running CDE, messages will be logged in /var/dt/Xerrors. If VUE, then /var/vue/Xerrors. These should be some of the same errors that you get if you run /usr/bin/X11/X at the console prompt.

- if the Xserver is dying, you won't get a core from CDE or VUE until you create an empty core in / and change the permissions to 666. touch /core then chmod 666 /core.

If you get a core with an Xserver failure, then you can get some information from it by running gdb on the core:

/opt/langtools/bin/gdb /usr/bin/X11/X /core

- Finally, check your patch level (swlist -l product | grep Xserver)

Rick
Necessary questions: Why? What? How? When?
Manuel Lopez_1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks guys,

What was recently changed? Root disk crashed. Replaced Root disk and loaded HP-UX 10.20 Core O/S. Then laid down backup tape (frecover -rvof /dev/rmt/0m).

"The X-server can not be started on display hostname:0" error.

With all the of the suggestions and help I tried with no avail.

Well, I laid the backup tape (frecover -rvof remotehost:/dev/rmt/1m) from a different tape drive remotely

HURRAY!!!!!!.....
SYSTEM CAME UP w/ NO PROBLEM.

Could it be that a file or something got corrupted on the first recover?

NOTE: Tape drive is sometimes flaky.

Once again thanks for all the help and suggestions.