1751716 Members
5537 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

X11 Collgui problem

Charles Shaffer
Advisor

X11 Collgui problem

I am getting the following error when I try to start collgui from my workstation on our old Alphaserver running TRU64 V51A. This machine is identical to our production machine where this works OK.
# collgui
Xlib: connection to "10.206.201.57:0.0" refused by server
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to X11 window server using '10.206.201.57
:0.0' as the value of the DISPLAY variable.
Check DISPLAY environment variable setting.
I have checked all the configuration things that I know about and see no differences between the machines.

CDS
12 REPLIES 12
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Re: X11 Collgui problem

Hi,

please check with dxhosts hat your client has authorized access to the machine.

greetings,

Michael
Charles Shaffer
Advisor

Thanks for the tip. I checked the dxhosts on the Alphaserver and my client was there. To be sure I added all hosts to the ACL. When I tried to login again, it failed, but this time the error message was different It was failing when the Alpha tried to connect back to my client. This Alpha was brought out of retirement recently and had a different IP address in the past. I deleted it from Access, Accounts, deleted all Applications for it, and reset the hosts entry on my client. Restarted the server. Added it back in with the new IP address to Accounts, Access and made an Xterm application and it worked! Thanks.
Charles Shaffer
Advisor

A little hasty. Xterm worked, but collgui still isn't !?!
Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor

did u try "xhost +"?

Does apps like 'xclock' run fine?
Kris Smith
Advisor

Charles,

From the iformation provided, I would assume that you are using xdm (X display manager and would expect that you have a Session Manager menu. If so, on this menu, select Options -> Security... On this menu, type in the Hostname of the remote Alpha and press Add, then Apply, then OK. If you don't have the appropriate host name in /etc/hosts, you must edit that file or you can enter the IP address instead of hostname in the Security... dialog. To make this permanent, select Session Manager -> Save Current Settings. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Kris

Charles Shaffer
Advisor

I am using eXcursion. The remote Alpha is defined in the local machine hosts file and Xterm works OK, but that seems to be the only application that will run. At least, clock won't and Collgui won't.
Kris Smith
Advisor

Charles,

If you are starting collgui from the command line, are you specifying the environment variable for DISPLAY? In other words, are you specifying
#setenv DISPLAY=hostname:0.0 (csh)(hostname:display#) or
#export DISPLAY=hostname:0.0 (ksh)
From looking closer at your original posting, it seems that this is the primary issue in your problem. Before starting any graphics application from the command line, it is necessary to tell the application where to DISPLAY the graphics. Maybe this will help.

Regards,
Kris
Charles Shaffer
Advisor

Yes I think the DISPLAY variable is set correctly. Here is what I get when logged in.

# env | grep DISPLAY
DISPLAY=10.206.201.57:0.0

57 is my clients IP address.
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Charles,

you use a pc as a client?
If so try 10.206.201.57:0 as DISPLAY
.0 is used when you have more than one window like on the graphics console.

hth,

Michael