108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: X11 server ???

SOLVED
Go to solution
Paola Garza
Advisor

X11 server ???

We??re working on a test environment, and two users need to work with X11...

But this two users need to run this... /usr/bin/X11/X :5 -fbdir /tmp... is this posible ???

Thanks in advance !

8 REPLIES 8
Ivan Azuara
Regular Advisor

Hi!

I have 2 questions for you:

1) These users need to export the X11 support on their pc??s (emulator software is enough)?
2) You are working with an environment (website application) , where you need to show some images (*.gif, etc). Maybe one application on Oracle 9ias environment ?.

You only need to make a frame buffer definition on the system (Xvfb).

Patchs information:
-------------------
For the patches, please install the latest XServer Patch accordingly of your OS Version:

HP-UX 10.20:
PHSS_26583 s700_800 10.20 Xserver cumulative patch

HP-UX 11.00:
PHSS_26566 s700_800 11.00 Xserver cumulative patch

HP-UX 11.11:
PHSS_26577 s700_800 11.11 Xserver cumulative patch

For complement the information for configure a Xvfb server ,check the attach file.

Best regards !

IAH
"Enjoy the life .."
Paola Garza
Advisor

The users need to have access to this service.

Paola Garza
Advisor

We are working on an Oracle Environment...

So the users that administrate 2 diferent applications need to run this command
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

X is a "backwards" service...

The X "server" (/usr/bin/X11/X) provides display station functions (on your console, for example - or a PC or a X-terminal).

Normally, you run the "client" programs (xterm, for example) on your server (ie: an L2000), and they display on an X-termial (the X-server).

So, unless you have 2 graphical consoles on your server (not supported and very unlikely), then you should NOT be running /usr/bin/X11/X on your server twice. Probably not at all.

/usr/bin/X11/X would run on your users' desktop, where they have a graphical display, mouse, and keyboard.

Now, so they can each use this on the server...

Each user much set an environment variable... it defines where the X-clients should display:

export DISPLAY=stationname:0.0

For example, my server "fileserver" displays on my workstation, "skydiver"...

So, I log in to "fileserver", and do this:

# export DISPLAY=skydiver:0.0
# xterm&

...and the xterm window magically appears on my workstation. The xterm is logged into "fileserver".

Get it?

Good luck,

Vince

No matter where you go, there you are.
Ivan Azuara
Regular Advisor

Maybe your original question wasn??t clear. I suppose that your situation has only 2 alternatives.

1) If you only need that your 2 users have the X-windows environment on each PC for work in your test environment, you can use an ENTRIA terminals (hardware), or an emulator software installed on each PC, try with Reflection X 10.0, and then export the DISPLAY variable, like Vince explain in his comments.

2) But if you are testing on environment where the front end of the application will run on a website and the Oracle databases run into HPUX server, then you need to configure your HPUX server like a Xvfb server for export graphics that will appear in your application (ie. graphical statics, etc). If you read the previous file of my fist reply, you understand better that concept.

Good Luck !

IAH
"Enjoy the life .."
Paola Garza
Advisor

I need to configure the environment... but I already installed the X server patch...

Maybe i didn??t explain very well my problem... the point is that in that server are installed some different Oracle Applications (Exchange and Portal) and both must have access to run this (/usr/bin/X11/X :5 -fbdir /tmp) ... but once that exchange run it, Portal cannot do it.

Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor
Solution

So if I am understanding you right both your oracle applications require access to a Virtual Xserver display.

If this is the case my advise would be to set up another xvfb display with a different screen identifier ie not :5 and point your second application to use that instead.

However I cannot figure out why once you start one application it prevent the second from accessing the display .... do you recieve any errors from either the oracle app or X

/var/X11/Xserver/logs/Xstartup.5.log
/var/X11/Xserver/logs/X5.log
Paola Garza
Advisor

Thanks everybody !!!

I started the service with root and then I configured the /X0screens, so, one application is using the X5screens and the other is using X0screens.

Saludos ! ;)