Operating System - HP-UX
1753435 Members
4575 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: XDMCP keeps timing out, what can I check?

Unixnerd
Occasional Contributor

XDMCP keeps timing out, what can I check?

I have users trying to connect to an 11.11 machine with XDMCP from Exceed. This used to work but has recently stopped. I have a real HP unix box on my own desk so have never needed to use Exceed, as a result I don't know much about it.

The machine they're trying to connect to has CDE installed OK and is running dtlogin properly. I can run remote X apps from it on my own HP no problem by setting DISPLAY.

What can I check to help debug the problem? The Exceed error is "XDMCP has timed out, no response from XDMCP daemon".

Thanks in advance :-)

Who needs a life when you've got Unix?
2 REPLIES 2
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

>   This used to work but has recently stopped.

Anything change in your environment, particularly networking/firewall ?   Either way, I would see if the users can perform an nslookup of your hostname from their desktops.

It has been a while since I used this myself, but DNS resolve issues were the most common if I recall.

If thats not it, I did a Google search and this site seems to give some good tips:

http://support.attachmate.com/techdocs/1229.html

-Bob

----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
Unixnerd
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for that link, I saw it yesterday and tried a few of those things. As for DNS our unix systems aren't part of the company COE so everyone with Windows has to link to them using just the IP address. I can ping and telnet no problem.

Who needs a life when you've got Unix?