1753905 Members
10477 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Xerox print queue script stops adding new queues

Doug Freyburger
Occasional Contributor

Xerox print queue script stops adding new queues

On my HPUX-11i PA-RISC host, the Xerox print queue maintenance script "xpadmin" no longer adds print queues. It creates all of the files as usual, gives no error messages, but "lpstat -a" doesn't report the new queue as existing.

The new printers in question aren't JetDirect so they can't be added with "hppi" unfortunately.

Nothing is logged in syslog.log or other places listed in syslog.conf. Nothing goes to standard error.

Any advice on what to try would be appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3
Bart Paulusse
Respected Contributor

Hi Doug,

can you look in the xpadmin script. I suppose the xerox printqueues are setup as remote printers. The script itself probably uses lpadmin to setup the print queue.

If so, you could try to create the queue "manually":
/usr/sbin/lpadmin -p \
-v/dev/null \
-mrmodel \
-ocmrcmodel \
-osmrsmodel \
-ob3 \
-orm \
-orp \
-v/dev/null

where = name of the queue and the ip adres or hostname of the remote printer and the name of the printer (or queue) on the remote machine.
This way you might see some error messages that are normally caught by the Xerox script.

good luck,

Bart
Doug Freyburger
Occasional Contributor

Bart,

Thanks for the HOWTO blurb on using lpadmin directly. Much better than available from the man page so I will use it whenever the client gets a non-HP and non-Xerox printer. With 400+ queues so far that happens every few months.

It turns out there was a directory "tmember" in /etc/lp. Deleting it allowed new queue additions to work.
Doug Freyburger
Occasional Contributor

rmdir /etc/lp/tmember