5683 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Xerox printer configuration

Jino PV
Advisor

Xerox printer configuration

Hi,

Can any of you help me to understand what exactly is happening behind xpadmin while adding a printer?
I am having a problem while adding a xerox printer using xpadmin. xpadmin is takng too long to show the menu( almost 30 minutes) and to add the printer it takes hours. Can any one help me on this

Thanks and regards,

Jino
8 REPLIES 8
Jino PV
Advisor

Hi,

Sorry to mention the OS and version.
OS - HPUX 11.0
Printer Model - XEROX WorkCentre 5645
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

xerox printer installed using xerox software...did you contact xerox???

at a previous job, i did have a few workcenter printer/copiers running on 11.0, and they installed without issue.

name resolution / dns / hosts file ok? ping responds ok?
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

I am assuming that xpadmin is a Xerox program so you'll need to call Xerox for help.

HP provides very primitive support for non-HP printers. Since this is a high end printer, there is a high possibility that the network card supports HP JetDirect protocol (Mr. Google finds support for WebJetAdmin in the Xerox specs). That may mean that you can add the printer using hppi (I am assuming you are using a modern version of HP-UX such as 11.11 or higher). Test the printer with the hpnpadmin command:

hpnpadmin 12.34.56.78

where 12.34... is the IP address of the printer. If it returns normal information (ie, no 'failed' or 'prohibited' or 'denied' messages) then you can use the addqueue command to add the printer. Look at the printer manual to see what model of HP printer can be emulated. Then use addqueue like this:

addqueue -h 12.34.56.78 -q prn5645 -r off -t off -b off -i 266

The -i 266 is a guess that this high end printer has features that match an HP LaserJet 8000 series. To see all the models available with addqueue, use this command:

addqueue -l

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

thinking back on this...I may have simply installed it as a LaserJet 4+, as that would have been sufficient for my needs at the time.

Jino PV
Advisor

Hi Bill,

This doesn't support jetadmin. My main question is why the xpadmin utility is taking so long to respond. Otherwise system is working fine. The HP printers configured on server are working fine( Whihc are configured with hppi). That's why I asked if any one knows what happens in the backgroud when we execute xpadmin.

Regards,

Jino
TTr
Honored Contributor

xpadmin comes up fine in my HP-UX workstation. It is a small utility and runs fine in both text and x-window (CDE). It is very similar to hppi, it creates either a jetadmin-type spooler or a remote type spooler. The jetadmin-type spooler uses the xerox supplied printing utilities instead of hpp-'s hpnpf. It does not use the model.orig structure. Creating a spooler is quick just like in hppi.

Which display mode are you running, text or x-window? If you are running x-window try "unset DISPLAY" and run it in text mode.

Download the latest version if you don't have it in case that's the problem.

I think if you try jetadmin/hppi it should work.
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

according to the specs, it supports raw ip on port 9100. I believe this will allow you to set it up as jetdirect printer. a laserjet model script should work in that case.

as for why you're having issues with the xerox installer (and what it does), you would probably be better served contacting xerox....
Javed Khan_1
Valued Contributor

Hi,

are you configuring printer using xerox Gui or command prompt?

In past i have see some issue , where xerox printer driver consuming excessive cpu.If so you may need need to contact Xerox for correct driver.

Regards,
Javed Khan
Never Give Up