Operating System - HP-UX
1748256 Members
3898 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: accessinng LUN from two hp ux server..

sarfraz Khan_2
Occasional Advisor

accessinng LUN from two hp ux server..

hi all,

we have eva 4400 san storage server and in which we created lun of 125 gb and present it to two rx 6600 server. how do i create file system on this lun so that both server will access this LUN.

Thanks in advance
Sarfraz
sarfraz khan
5 REPLIES 5
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

Nothin I recommend doing, but according to manpage for vgchange the vgchange -a s option:

"Activate each specified volume group and all associated physical and logical volume for shared read-write access. The volume group much be marked as part of a high availablity cluster and marked shareable; otherwise; the volume group is not activated."

Rita
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

I agree with Rita on not recommending this without the assistance of a software, preventing simultaneous updates, hence keeping the file integrity.

If you can tell us why you need such unconventional access, you might find better answers.

You will not be able to without a Clustered Filesystem Product On HP-UX - you can use the OEM'd SYmantec Products CLuster VOlume Manager + Cluster FIlesystem.

The other concurrent access scenarion would be using Oracle RAC -- if the LUN is intended as a Database storage.

Hakuna Matata.
Ismail Azad
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

Traditionally LVM would allow simultaneous activation of the volume group from two servers and as each server had it's own "brain" for the filesystem, could lead to filesystem corruption cez both servers would see the filesystem differently which is exactly why we have the concept of exclusive activation in previous release of serviceguard. I think the shared read/write is not all that great with LVM and hence would standby Alzhy with the CVM on this one. Do assign points if you find previous answers helpful.

Regards
Ismail Azad

Regards
Ismail Azad
Read, read and read... Then read again until you read "between the lines".....
Manix
Honored Contributor

Hello Safraraz !!

I don`t think it makes sense making such file
systems unless we are using HP`s clustering feature MCSG or else !!

More ever if you have a shared storage you may export and import the volume group on any of the node when ever is needed.

vgchange -a s can cause corruption as said earlier.

Thanks

Manix
HP-UX been always lovable - Mani Kalra