8123 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: adding Lun to server, where bcv configured

joseph51
Regular Advisor

adding Lun to server, where bcv configured

Hi,

I have to add few lun to the production server (hespdu03)to extend the vg .The setup is that.the customer have configured BCV backup.for the server hespdu03 the bcv backup server is PRIBKUP.the LUN are assiging from XP12000.

I have the doubt that, if i am adding the lun to this hespdu03, is it require to modify any bcv configuration file either in hespdu03 or pribkup to include the newely added lun to participate in backup.

If i want to edit the configuration file , in which file i need to do the modification, and what are the modification i need to do. and where the file located.

whether i need to do in both the servers?

plesase help me out for this issue

thanks in advance
4 REPLIES 4
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

I am not a SAN admin but we use the same BCV method for backing up our larger and more critical databases. First thing you need to do is to ask for additional BCV volumes to be allocated and zoned (fabric-wise) to this server and the backup server.

Then it is upto the person who is in charge of the backups to update his/her configuration file to reflect the new additions to this volume group. There is no single and definitive configuration file for this purpose. The BCV backup is performed in a way that the site backup and SAN administrators configure it. Hence, there is no definitife configuration file. Administrator needs to know (and preferably record it somewhere) which BCV volume/LUN is the shadow (for the lack of a better term) of which primary LUN.

Hope this helps

i found one configuration file./etc/horcm22.conf. in that i saw some entries .i have attached the file.

In this file i need to edit.. ?
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

If you are sure horcm22 is the horcm file for this particular server, yes, it is the one to edit. But do not get mislead by the BCV group labels. I have seen lazy san admins put everything into the same group just for their convenience. Make sure the IP address of the server matches to that of your hespdu03

Thanks to all