4592 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

adding a new disk with tru64 OS

berenger aguissi
Frequent Advisor

adding a new disk with tru64 OS

Hi,

I have an Alphaserver GS80 running tru64 unix.
I am adding a new disk to the JBOD ( existing RAID 0+1 array configuration )and configure 12 GB of it as swap space.
Please tell me steps and procedures.

Thanks.

Regards.
Berenger.
5 REPLIES 5
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Re: adding a new disk with tru64 OS

At storage level I cannot tell because you should specify the model of storage used.

From the OS view, you also need to specify the version (sizer -v) because the procedure changed from 4.0 to 5.0.

If you run 5.0 you should see the new device using hwmgr view devices.

Label the disk using disklabel -rw dskN

Use the swapon /dev/disk/dskNc to add the disk as swap device

Modify the /etc/sysconfigtab and add the new device under the vm subsystem:

swapdevice=/dev/disk/dskMx,/dev/disk/dskNc

To modify the sysconfigtab file, you should use the sysconfigdb command.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
berenger aguissi
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Thanks very much for your reply !
I am using tru64 version 5.1b . I understand the procedure for using the disk as secondary swap, but one thing is that I want to allocate only 12 GB for swap and then be able to create other usable partitions on the same disk. How will I do that ?

Please does anyone know about smor utility for configuring disk devices on Alphaserver GS80 ?
THis is the scenario :
I added a new disk to the storageworks enclosure on the Alphaserver GS80 but I cannot detect the new disk even in console mode p00>> prompt at hardware level. What should I do ?

Please help on those two issues.

Regards.
Berenger.

Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor

Once the disk is recognized by the OS, you can using 'diskconfig' to set the desired size for the partitions. After that, you can use 'swapon ' to add that partition as swap.

I am not sure how the 'recognition of disk by OS' part would be accomplished.
berenger aguissi
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Thanks for your reply .

My problem now is that the disk is not being detected at the console ( hardware level mode).
What should I do ?

Regards.
Berenger.
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

What storage/raid are you using?

If you can't see from the console, you won't be able to do anything. If you are using storage, check the presentations/access lists for the new device.

After you can see it from the console, during OS boot the device will be detected, or run "hwmgr scan scsi".
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?