1748180 Members
4006 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: boot problems after building boot disk on SAN disk

John Williams_5
Occasional Advisor

boot problems after building boot disk on SAN disk

I re-built a 3 11.23 systems on SAN boot disks. These systems had been on local disks. 2 of Them have had various problems during the various boots that the install goes through.

As a test I re-booted from the local disk and imported the new SAN boot disks as vg00x. I then did a lvlnboot -v vg00x and got:

Boot Definitions for Volume Group /dev/vg00x:
Physical Volumes belonging in Root Volume Group:
/dev/dsk/c4t0d1 (0/12/0/0.10.0.3.0.0.1) -- Boot Disk
Unable to query the I/O interface: Parameter error.

The only thing I did different was on the first I let home default as 64MB then after it was built I changed /home to /root and added a larger /home then moved the home files from /root to /home. On the 2nd and third using the install dialog I renamed /home to /root and added a new larger /home. The net effect was the LVOL order was changed. (IE 1st /stand,*swap,/,/root,/opt,/tmp,/usr,/var,/home (added later); for 2nd and third /stand,*swap,/,/home,/opt,/root,/tmp,/usr,/var.
4 REPLIES 4
Arunabha Banerjee
Valued Contributor

Hi,

Please execute the following command.

# lvlnboot -R

Then again run

# lvlnboot -v

Please let me know still if you have the same error.
AB
John Williams_5
Occasional Advisor

I think I have an issue with the HBA itself. Rebuilt the systems using the local disk and let them overflow onto a SAN disk.

Not sure whats going on though 3 systems connected to same SAN with same type HBA cards. 1 system SAN boots fine 2 systems have problems.

All the things I can find about firmware upgrades are for Intergrity systems. These systems are PA-Risc. Not even sure how to extract the relevant firmware info.
John Williams_5
Occasional Advisor

When I tried booting from local disk and vgimporting the SAN boot disks to vgsan00 and trying lvlnboot -v vgsan00 got good results for the system that works and bitter complaints from the 2 that had problems.

See previous note. I am currently moving forward with the mixed local/SAN layout. Will mirror to a local/SAN pair and when I have some way to upgrade the firmware on the HBA I will mirror to a a SAN only and try to boot from the new mirror.
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

If your SAN enviroment is something new, then yes it likely is incompatibility with your HBA.
You should check on this and see if there is a recommendation as to which HBA is compatible.

On the other things...I am not sure why or what for certain you are doing.

[I changed /home to /root and added a larger /home then moved the home files from /root to /home.]
>>>WHY? Just leave home alone, and increase it. Create /root.
Why are you doubling your work??????

[I tried booting from local disk and vgimporting the SAN boot disks to vgsan00 and trying lvlnboot -v vgsan00 ]
>>>WHAT? You booted up using the vg00 which resides on local disk and you vgimported some kind of "vgsan00" disks that are bootable into the same server with a vg00 that is bootable and running. WHAT? are you trying to do?

If you want to have SAN boot disk, then pvcreate the SAN disk using the proper make-it-bootable commands and mirror up the lvols, etc.

Let us know what your hardware is so we can suggest a solution on your possible HBA issue.

Telling us your steps on just how your trying to mirror vg00 to some SAN disk would be helpful.

Regards,
Rita