Operating System - Linux
1753604 Members
6411 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: bootpd[3008]: Option 43: Client specified unacceptable option length (86 octets)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Frank de Vries
Respected Contributor

bootpd[3008]: Option 43: Client specified unacceptable option length (86 octets)

We have an old K class donkey with HPux10.10 PA_RISC.
In the /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log
I found this line repeated about 40 times
bootpd[3008]: Option 43: Client specified unacceptable option length (86 octets)

What does it mean? Or in which direction does it point ? Hardware ? Kernel ? Othere ?
Look before you leap
10 REPLIES 10
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Re: bootpd[3008]: Option 43: Client specified unacceptable option length (86 octets)

This looks like a DHCP server message indicating that received a wrong value from a client.

Probably this server is running DHCPD.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Frank de Vries
Respected Contributor

Probability is a funny thing.

In the 7 years I managed this ol' donkey
I never heard of our old unix server
being dhcp server as well.

With ps -ef | grep -i dhc
= nothing
grep -i dhc inittab
= nothing
grep -i dhc inetd.conf
= nothing
grep -i dhc /sbin/init.d/*
= nothing

Don't think it is running.

Any other probable clues anyone ?
Look before you leap
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

If it's very old, then maybe is using the bootpd daemon. Check the precense of bootpd in inetd.conf.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Luk Vandenbussche
Honored Contributor

It is not a dhcp issue, it is a bootp issue

check if bootd is running and also check /etc/bootptab
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

DHCP is actually an extension of bootp, and in more modern HP-UXes the bootpd can speak DHCP too. I don't know whether or not HP-UX 10.10's bootpd is DHCP-aware or not.

Anyway, bootp option 43 is "vendor specific options". Apparently some bootp client tried to give your bootp server a very long string of vendor-specific information, and bootpd is unhappy about it. To find out what it might mean, you'll need to examine that particular client and its documentation.

The message comes from bootpd, so bootpd is obviously running. The cause might simply be an excessively verbose bootp implementation in some bootp client.

MK
MK
Frank de Vries
Respected Contributor

Yep,
bootpd is running since this machine was installed (way back in the nineties).

So, can I take it out the inittab
and /sbin/init.d/
so it won't bother me again, or has
it something vital to do ??
Look before you leap
Frank de Vries
Respected Contributor

Oh by the way,
contents of this /etc/bootpdtab
test:\
bf=C2300B:\
hd=/usr/lib/X11/700X/bin:\
hn:\
ht=ether:\
vm=rfc1048:\
ha=080009000000:\
ip=192.30.103.01

What the 4x does that mean ??
Stun me.
Look before you leap
Luk Vandenbussche
Honored Contributor

Frank,

I think you can remove this entry

ha=080009000000 => normally the mac adres of a card. This a non existing mac address, so you can remove it.
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

Looks like a basic bootp entry for HP 700X series Xterminal.

Translation:
"If a host with Ethernet interface (ht) MAC address 080009000000 (ha) asks for boot parameters, bootpd should give it IP address 192.30.103.01 (ip) and indicate the boot file for the Xterminal is located at /usr/lib/X11/700X/bin/C2300B (hd, bf). The client should begin using the host name "test" (hn + name of the entry). The answer should be sent in RFC1048 style (vm)."

If I remember correctly, this would make the Xterminal to use TFTP to download the C2300B file, and maybe also some other files located in the same directory. The client will send the TFTP request to the same server that answered the client's bootp request.

If this is the only entry in the bootptab file and you no longer have an Xterminal in use, you can safely disable the bootpd daemon. You should also disable the tftpd service from /etc/inetd.conf, if it isn't used for anything else.

(Luk: I assume Frank may have replaced the actual MAC address with a dummy one to avoid accidentally publicizing sensitive information.)

MK
MK