Operating System - HP-UX
1753345 Members
5103 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: c200, ancient HDDs -- how to migrate HP/UX11 to new HDD?

V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

>I'm rather amazed that no-one else seems to have had such a need as this. Or at least, no-one who's noticed this post. :-)

Well, I told you what I would do :-)

Other possibilities?

First, I booked a company which installed ignite server for me, so I was able to backup all my different ws.

Second, store no lomger needed hardware for such cases or change to a newer one. Or contact a reseller and buy the right HP parts.

With a 9 GB os disk you also can use bigger disks and make a 'dd'.
I've used 36 GB disks to clone a 18 GB disk.
Works great, if you have enough external disk volume, you don't need this additional 18 GB (or 9GB) at your boot disk. I never tried to 'partitionate' hp-ux disks, maybe google can tell you more, but I never heard about this possibility, so I don't believe that this will work.

Last but not least - I've support contracts for all important ws running in my company.

This thread was moved to the hp-ux admin forum (I don't know why, but ok) so here are enough gurus who can tell you more.

HTH
Volkmar
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
Ted Thibodeau Jr

@Dennis Handly

ah, I mis-stated the Itanium HP/UX versions, you're right. One is down, awaiting its own HDD attentions, so can't check its exact, but it is 11.x. The other is definitely running 11.23.

not that those matter to the challenge at hand. ;-)

I *do* now have a "depot" file for Ignite-UX -- Ignite-UX-11-00_C.7.2.94_HP-UX_B.11.00_32_64.depot -- which I understand to be compatible with my problem box/environment. Now I just have to find instructions for installing from this. And setting up a destination for, and making a bootable net-backup. And restoring from same to the new HDD.

I begin to see why there seem not to be any simple instructions out there anywhere for doing such as this. There appears to be nothing simple about it!
V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

Hi,

one more hint:
you don't need an ignite version for every os - I don't know how far it spreads, I know my ignite server running on 11.11 can also serve 11.00 clients. But not vice versa.
I *think* every higher ux11 version can handle the lower ones, but I'm not sure.

HTH
V.
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***