System Administration
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

c200, ancient HDDs -- how to migrate HP/UX11 to new HDD?

Ted Thibodeau Jr
Occasional Visitor

c200, ancient HDDs -- how to migrate HP/UX11 to new HDD?

I have a Visualize C200 running HP/UX 11.00, on 2 internal 9GB drives mfg 1999, with 1 external 73GB drive mfg 2002.

HDD lifespans generally being 5 years or less, I'm clearly on borrowed time on the internals. This has been made clear by the external which has stopped spinning up, possibly due to the HDD itself, or maybe the enclosure's power supply.

My first concern is to get the internal boot and data volumes moved onto a new external 147GB, which I plan to then swap into one of the internal bays (physical size and SCSI specs are correct).

Once that's done, I figure to swap the stuck external into the new external enclosure, and assuming I can convince it to spin up, move *its* contents onto the new now-internal.

But I need some clues about moving logical volumes around in the HP/UX world. If these were same-size HDDs, I'd just go to dd, but I don't know how to make that work with different sized disks, nor with bootability.

Any and all assistance welcomed!
12 REPLIES
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Re: c200, ancient HDDs -- how to migrate HP/UX11 to new HDD?

Might an Ignite Golden image of some form or net/tape backup be of help? Should be more about it on docs.hp.com.

there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

How to migrate - a good question

The *best* solution is ignite.
There are many threads here about the 'howto'.
One interesting:
https://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=314266

See the attached document of sinha.

Other possibilities - mirror (expensive software), dd (yes, only for identical or similar hdd sizes), new installation (maybe on the newer os 11.11?)

These are solutions I've used yet.

Not yet tried: Copy by tar or fbackup.
Here I think you have to make a basic installation first.

HTH
Volkmar
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
B. Hulst
Trusted Contributor

For similar size disks or partition I have used the dd command in single user mode to copy all the internal hdd data on partition level to an external disk and/or a second disk mounted temporarily inside the server (if you have space).
V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

Hi again,

about ignite:
http://docs.hp.com/en/5187-0151/ch01s12.html

How is your os installed over these internal disks?
Maybe you should think about continue using the old disks (these old ones are better than current manufactured):
Clean one 9 GB disk (copy to the new external) - dd the boot disk to the second.
Store it at a save place - maybe switching after half a year or every whole year for a test.

Finally - you always should have a (ignite) backup ....

V.
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi,

not an easy task im afraid.

it depends upon your int disks setup as well? is the OS stripped across them or is it just one one disk and the other data? or are they mirrored?

but, the main issue is going to be the max physical extents and size is not going to be enough for the 147gb disk.

I would approach it something like this

back up all system first, then install ignite/ux if you do not have it. create an ignite image either on tape of network twice. export all other vg's possibly

swap disks and boot ignite image and change paramters to work with 147gb disk. At this point you will get an indication of whether it works or not, as i assume its not a HP disk with hp firmware on?

carry on with recovery and then vgimport them back in.

you might get a few more ideas from the HPUX forums

Andy
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> [...] (physical size and SCSI specs are
> correct).

What about power dissipation? If the newer,
bigger, faster drive is also hotter, then you
could cook it, if the internal cooling fans
are not up to the job.
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

and ignite for 11.0 is no longer available for download...
Ted Thibodeau Jr
Occasional Visitor

More info, based on responses to date...

I work for an ISV which produces software components for HP/UX among many other platforms. This box (HP/UX 11.00 PA/RISC) is a one-of-a-kind in our environment, alongside an HP/UX 10.0 PA/RISC, an HP/UX 11.00 Itanium, and an HP/UX 11.11 Itanium.

The OS is installed on internal #1. Content of internal #2 and external includes binaries/executables, but no OS elements.

I have no tape drive, no Ignite software, no OS reinstall media that I've yet been able to locate (a few office re-arrangements since 1999 have moved or lost the media, if we ever had it -- case has label stating that it shipped with pre-installed OS).

The new disk is not HP-issue, doesn't have HP firmware, etc. I didn't know this was necessary. None of the manuals I've downloaded and pored over have said it was. The new disk is UW, SCSI-3, matching the existing disks. I believe it runs cooler than the old disks. One of it should definitely run cooler than 2 old ones, if I manage to make it internal. Running with it as an external boot is not a bad final answer, assuming everything else works out.

I had hoped that partitioning the 147 GB disk to match the partitions from the old small disks would be enough to get past extents and such limits. The only OS I've ever known to have trouble with SCSI disks larger than 8GB was fine if the OS was in the first 8GB partition; later partitions could be any size. Is HP/UX different?

I'm rather amazed that no-one else seems to have had such a need as this. Or at least, no-one who's noticed this post. :-)
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>an HP-UX 11.00 Itanium, and an HP-UX 11.11 Itanium.

This isn't correct. Integrity systems shipments for most customers started on 11.23.

V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

>I'm rather amazed that no-one else seems to have had such a need as this. Or at least, no-one who's noticed this post. :-)

Well, I told you what I would do :-)

Other possibilities?

First, I booked a company which installed ignite server for me, so I was able to backup all my different ws.

Second, store no lomger needed hardware for such cases or change to a newer one. Or contact a reseller and buy the right HP parts.

With a 9 GB os disk you also can use bigger disks and make a 'dd'.
I've used 36 GB disks to clone a 18 GB disk.
Works great, if you have enough external disk volume, you don't need this additional 18 GB (or 9GB) at your boot disk. I never tried to 'partitionate' hp-ux disks, maybe google can tell you more, but I never heard about this possibility, so I don't believe that this will work.

Last but not least - I've support contracts for all important ws running in my company.

This thread was moved to the hp-ux admin forum (I don't know why, but ok) so here are enough gurus who can tell you more.

HTH
Volkmar
Ted Thibodeau Jr
Occasional Visitor

@Dennis Handly

ah, I mis-stated the Itanium HP/UX versions, you're right. One is down, awaiting its own HDD attentions, so can't check its exact, but it is 11.x. The other is definitely running 11.23.

not that those matter to the challenge at hand. ;-)

I *do* now have a "depot" file for Ignite-UX -- Ignite-UX-11-00_C.7.2.94_HP-UX_B.11.00_32_64.depot -- which I understand to be compatible with my problem box/environment. Now I just have to find instructions for installing from this. And setting up a destination for, and making a bootable net-backup. And restoring from same to the new HDD.

I begin to see why there seem not to be any simple instructions out there anywhere for doing such as this. There appears to be nothing simple about it!
V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

Hi,

one more hint:
you don't need an ignite version for every os - I don't know how far it spreads, I know my ignite server running on 11.11 can also serve 11.00 clients. But not vice versa.
I *think* every higher ux11 version can handle the lower ones, but I'm not sure.

HTH
V.