Operating System - HP-UX
1753435 Members
4645 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: can you please tell me meaningful explaination on each digits from ioscan -fnC disk on SD?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Hanry Zhou
Super Advisor

can you please tell me meaningful explaination on each digits from ioscan -fnC disk on SD?

Please check out the result of "ioscan -fnC disk" as attached on one of Supersome's.

Can you please tell me what each digit represent in the first 4 digits, ex, 5/0/11/1?

And, can you tell how many cell's within the Superdome?

Thanks,
none
7 REPLIES 7
ASME
Advisor

Re: can you please tell me meaningful explaination on each digits from ioscan -fnC disk on SD?

Hi Hanry,

In simple term thats the h/w address for the LUNS. it presents the lcoation of the LUN.

if you look in to the back panel of the server there u will find the "5/0/1/1/0/4" which indicates to which controlled these disk are attached.

but in SAN setup the things became more complecated. as the number of LUN increases HPUX uses ext bus to represent those lun in the OS.

In the lastest release v3 there are more number of LUN suported as compared to earlier release.

by looking in to these address you can find out which LUN is this in the array.

hope this helps ..!!

Regards,
asme
Md. Farhan A Azam
Trusted Contributor

5/0/11/1

First Digit - Cell
Second Digit - SBA
Third Digit - LBA
and then target ID and Device ID.

Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor

Understanding Hardware Addresses
You can identify each piece of hardware configured to an HP-UX computer by its hardware address (shown in ioscan as H/W Path).

The length of these numerical sequences differ by system model and architecture, but every hardware path leads you through the bus structure, starting from the bus closest to the system processor and ending at the output device.

ioscan -H hardware_path shows you the sequence of connection to or from the specified location. In the following example, which displays output from a Model 770, a disk attached to the GSC built-in Fast/Wide SCSI Interface has the hardware address 8/0.5.0.

/usr/sbin/ioscan -H 8/0.5.0
H/W Path Class Description
====================================================
bc
8 bc I/O Adapter
8/0 ext_bus GSC built-in Fast/Wide SCSI Interface
8/0.5 target
8/0.5.0 disk DEC DSP3210SW

The hardware path can be decoded as follows:

identifies the bus adapter connecting the GSC+ bus to the system bus.

identifies the slot number of the Fast/Wide SCSI interface. (See Figure B-3 in Appendix B, Bus Architectures.)

represents the "target," or SCSI address, set on the disk device itself.

indicates a unit number or SCSI LUN number.

Problems are common to all, but attitude makes the difference
TTr
Honored Contributor

There are two parts in a "hardware address". The hardware path is the first part and it is separated by slashes "/" and the device path separated by dots ".". A detailed explanation of each is here
http://docs.hp.com/en/B2355-90702/ch01s06.html#chdjifji
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Hi Hanry,

lets take an example line from your ioscan:

5/0/11/1/0/4/0.2.0

A complete ioscan would look like this:

cell 0 5 cell CLAIMED BUS_NEXUS

ioa 0 5/0 sba CLAIMED BUS_NEXUS System Bus Adapter (805)

ba 1 5/0/11 lba CLAIMED BUS_NEXUS Local PCI-X Bus Adapter (783)

So the first part is

cell/SBA/LBA/1

The LBA is the slot, but not equal the slot number. This depends on the model of your SD io chassis.
Use "(ol)rad -q" to find it out.

The last part is on the HBA and external.

0/4/0.2.0

This must be a combo card, probably ethernet/SCSI.

The

0/4/0

part stands for SCSI, most likely you see

0/6/0 for the ethernet part.

The final

is the SCSI ID (2) for the external disk.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

And for fiber channel connections, there are several additional digits. This link should help:

http://docs.hp.com/en/A6795-90006/A6795-90006.pdf

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Md. Farhan A Azam
Trusted Contributor

cell/sba/lba/device/function/target