5063 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: cfengine coredump on HP-UX

Kevin Liquori_1
Regular Advisor

cfengine coredump on HP-UX

All,

I've installed CFEngine (ver 3.0.5p1) from the Porting and Archive Centre on two HP-UX 11.23 PA-RISC servers. I've also installed all of its dependencies as well as the dependencies of those dependencies. Whenever I run any of the cfengine commands (e.g., cf-key, cf-monitord, cf-serverd) I get a "Bus error coredump."

Here is the tail of the output of the cf-key command with the debugging switch enabled (cf-key -d3):

Unappending ***********************************************************
 Loading persistent classes
Unappending  Loading persistent classes
Unappending ***********************************************************
OpenDB(/var/cfengine/state/cf_state.db)
Bus error(coredump)

Looking in /var/cfengine/state I see that it does not create cf_state.db. Maybe this is a problem with Berkeley DB? I also installed that depot from the Porting and Archive Centre.

The only cfengine command I've gotten to work is 'cf-promises -x'. So it seems fine if I run it with the diagnostics switch, but not when I actually go to use it, such as to check the syntax of failsafe.cf

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

4 REPLIES 4

Kevin,

Do you absolutely need ver 3.0.5p1 of cfengine?

Because there is an older copy of cfengine available in the DSAU product on HP-UX - it will be installed by default on 11.31, but you may need to install a copy for 11.23 from here: https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=DSAUtilities

Difference with this of course is that it is supported by HP.

I think this only has cfengine 2.x in it though...

Manual is here: http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01920477/c01920477.pdf

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Kevin Liquori_1
Regular Advisor

Duncan,

I'd really like it to be ver 3.x. I want to use a Linux server as the policy server and run ver 3.x. I had pulled down the latest DSAU bundle and saw that it was still using CFEngine 2.x. Since there is so much different between the two I'm assuming client and servers all have to be the same major version.

I could run version 2.x across the board, but I'd really like to keep with a more current version of the software.

Thanks,

Kevin

Cloudmaster

I know this post is a little old but just for the sake of posterity:

CFEngine 3.x servers will support CFEngine2.x clients.  But the language is not at all compatible, so you'd be using completely different policies for your HP-UX clients as compared to the modern clients.  CFEngine 3.0 was released in 2008, so it's not like this is some kind of bleeding-edge thing.  There have been 10 production releases in the year since 3.0.5p1 - and I don't recall when this annoying core dump "feature" was resolved, but it's been a while ago.  It'd be really nice if someone would build the newer version and package it up, since I've been having lots of trouble myself trying to get the newer versions all compiled.

mvpel
Trusted Contributor

I've slogged through a number of issues on HP-UX builds, and have just moments ago successfully built the master from Github, though it still has some issues here and there due to C99 compat problems. I use TokyoCabinet, which needed a bit of love to build properly on HP-UX 11.11 - https://mail.cfengine.com/pipermail/help-cfengine/2012-May/016758.html - but you can also use the DB package from the PARC.

The notes I had written in 2011 about how to get 3.1 to build were lost when they took down the old forums in favor of Google Groups, but most of the issues were resolved in later releases anyway.

The build will fail some of the acceptance tests due to the fact that "fakeroot" is not available on HP-UX, but if you change the script to null out the variable which contains fakeroot, and run the tests as root, it will work its way through.

The 3.4.4 build has a bit of a problem as it tries to use -R library path with the HP linker, which doesn't fly, buti f you edit all the makefiles to remove the "-Wl,-R/usr/local/lib" from all of the various LDFLAGS it will finish the build. The issue has been fixed in the master branch on Github, by removing the "-Wl" prefix.

My configure command line:

env MAKE=gmake CC="/opt/hp-gcc/bin/gcc -static-libgcc" CFLAGS="-mpa-risc-2-0" ./configure --with-pcre=/usr/local --with-tokyocabinet=/usr/local

The test section fails to build cmockery.c because of a missing strsignal() reference, but that's easily fixed - see https://cfengine.com/dev/issues/2594 - you just include platform.h after config.h, and there's a bit of an issue with the db_test.c and its use of mkdtemp() which is not implemented on HP-UX. If you want to just skip the tests, it should work out okay.

mphp1# /var/cfengine/bin/cf-agent -V

@@@
   @@@      cf-agent

@ @@@ @    CFEngine Core 3.4.4
 @ @@@ @
 @ @@@ @
 @     @
   @@@
   @ @
   @ @
   @ @

Copyright (C) CFEngine AS 2008-2013