Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

change output bin setting for Laserjet 4350 on HPUX driver

SOLVED
Go to solution
John Jimenez
Super Advisor

change output bin setting for Laserjet 4350 on HPUX driver

I need to configure JetDirect driver on HPUX. the default is to send it to the output bin on top, but I need it to go to a seperate bin on the back.
I believe I need to change a file in var/spool/lp/interface/model.orig directory. I can see the following two. Not 100% sure, but I think this is what I might need to change. If so can anyone suggest what needs to be modified?

outb="def" #output bin #
outbstring="OPTIONALOUTBIN" #not used
Hustle Makes things happen
4 REPLIES
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: change output bin setting for Laserjet 4350 on HPUX driver

Start by reading the man page for net_ljx000 -- the options are the same for most of the LaserJet family. Print some test pages using the -obin1 as in:

lp -dlj4350 -obin2 /etc/fstab

Try -obin3 or -orearbin. Once you find the correct option, change the default value for outb="def" to the desired value such as outb="bin3". NOTE: this forces all printing to use this bin. Users can override the new default by using the -obin option when they print.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
John Jimenez
Super Advisor

Thank you Bill. It still did not work. No matter what I put it still came out the top bin. But I am going to assign 10 points because I did not realize that there was a man page for net_lj4350 and for your suggestions.

Whats funny is man page shows a topbin and leftbin, but no rearbin. but everything still gets sent to topbin no matter.

I also looked at the Pitney Bowes intercepter driver Window proterties that is able print to this bin, so see if it might give me a clue. But no luck.

Thanks again for your help.
John Jimenez
Super Advisor

The man page for this 4350 did not give me much info:

bin1/topbin, bin2/rearbin Output pages to specified bin. By default, the bin1 option (face-down) is valid srbb<#> Set the starting page number to recover or print the specified page.

But the man page for a different 4200 printer might have shed some light.

Output pages to specified bin. By default, the bin1 option (face-down) is valid, bin2 is the faceup bin and bin3 through bin10 are optional external output bins. The bin3 is the face-up bin if bin2 is not available.The bin2 option is valid only when mailbox bin is attached with printer.

on that printer it mentions a mailbox bin needs to be attached. maybe this applies to the 4350 too.
John Jimenez
Super Advisor

Read manual on 4200 here and it says that bin needs to be opened not closed. But when I open everything will just go to the rear bin. It does not even matter if I specify bin1 or bin2 everything will go there.

I suppose that is true for the 4350 at off-stie. I will be going there later this afternoon to test.