HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
System Administration
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

changes on /bin/sh from 11.11 to /usr/bin/sh

SOLVED
Go to solution
krs2prs
Advisor

changes on /bin/sh from 11.11 to /usr/bin/sh

Hi,
I have user1 in HPUX 11.11 with /bin/sh as shell. With this user1, I am able to do ftp without any problem on 11.11. When I installed HPUX 11.23 and created the same user1 with /bin/sh shell, I'm not able to do ftp on 11.23. But if I change the shell to /usr/bin/sh , I'm able to do ftp. Is this the new way of assigning shell to the users on 11.23 versions? Any explanation will be appreciated.
cheers!
krs
4 REPLIES
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Re: changes on /bin/sh from 11.11 to /usr/bin/sh

> [...] I'm not able to do ftp [...]

This is not a useful description of what you
did, or of what happened when you did it.

My (weak) psychic powers say "echo $PATH".
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Hi:

You either need to change to '/usr/bin/sh' ('/bin/sh' is only a symbolic link to it on HP-UX) or add '/bin/sh' to the '/etc/shells' file in addition to:

/sbin/sh
/usr/bin/sh
/usr/bin/rsh
/usr/bin/ksh
/usr/bin/rksh
/usr/bin/csh
/usr/bin/keysh

If you don't have an '/etc/shells' or the file isn't readable, this is the standard set of shells assumed. To FTP you need an account with a shell that is specified therein. You can create an 'etc/shells' file to meet your needs if necessary.

Regards!

...JRF...

The only reason to use /bin/sh is because you are using NIS with both HP-UX and linux. I.e. there is no such thing as /bin on HP-UX, it's an illusion.

And JRF is correct, you have to add the name to /etc/shells, like I do.
Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor

Hi,

As mentioned above by
>>Dennis, JRF <<

/etc/shells --> contains shells available in HPUX , if you have doubt before assinging shell to new user account you can refer to this "/etc/shells" than assign,

Only ftp user account doesn't require shell it could carry "false"

Explanation:-

you hit this problem suspecting you would have used command useradd to creat new-user accounts by pointing /bin/sh , which doesn't exits under HPUX,

if you would have used "SAM" creat new_user account "you choice to chose prefered shell"

Thanks,
Johnson
Problems are common to all, but attitude makes the difference