child termination error

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rosli Ahmad
Frequent Advisor

child termination error

Hi,
I noticed there are lots of this error in my syslog:
n4000 telnetd[4432]: Error checking child termination status: error 4: Interrupted
system call

I searched in ITRC on this but my query produce no results.Anyone has experienced this and know what exactly is the problem here? I wonder if I'm missing certain PHNE patches or this is due to something else.

thanks

rgds
-rosli-
5 REPLIES 5
Mark Grant
Honored Contributor

Re: child termination error

This one seems to deal with your problem though I suspect the patches it mentions are a bit old.

http://aa11.cjb.net/hpux_admin/2000/06/0382.html
Never preceed any demonstration with anything more predictive than "watch this"
Dietmar Konermann
Honored Contributor

Rosli,

upon exit telnetd tries to terminate its child by sendig SIGHUP to it. The message appears when the child does not exit withing some period of time (30 secs I believe).

Looks like the child (usually a shell) traps and ignores SIGHUP or simply hangs. You may enable inetd logginging to get more information about when the problem occures.

Best regards...
Dietmar.
"Logic is the beginning of wisdom; not the end." -- Spock (Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country)
Rosli Ahmad
Frequent Advisor

Hi Dietmar,
Thank for the reply. My next question is how do I enable the inetd logging in order to start the tracing.

rgds
-rosli-
Mark Grant
Honored Contributor

There is a patch to solve the problem following on from what Dietmar says,

PHNE_28476
Never preceed any demonstration with anything more predictive than "watch this"
Dietmar Konermann
Honored Contributor
Solution

Rosli,

inetd logging is toggled by issueing "inetd -l". However, Mark's suggestion is also correct... the problem may be caused by JAGad84809. You should take care to have these (or newer) Streams patch installed:

PHNE_25440 'Cumulative STREAMS Patch' 11.00 -> PHNE_27902
PHNE_26728 'Cumulative STREAMS Patch' 11.11 -> PHNE_28476

Best regards...
Dietmar.
"Logic is the beginning of wisdom; not the end." -- Spock (Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country)