New Discussion юеВ

cleanup command question

SOLVED
Go to solution
someone_4
Honored Contributor

cleanup command question

Hello
I have a question about the cleanup command and saving the sw/save files .
If I do cleanup -p -c 2
I get nothing back.
If i do
cleanup -p -c 1
I get back allot of patches that can be cleanedup.
Now if I am not totaly sure about commiting to the patches can I just move the files in /var/adm/sw/save to another bigger file system? And then move them back with out any problems?Will this hurt anything?

Richard
9 REPLIES 9
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Re: cleanup command question

Richard,

It is not recommended to go less than level 2. So, it's better to go for a seperate file system for /var/adm/sw/save. However, you may not want to end up with the same situation there later. So, still you would be using cleanup but probably with a level not less than 3 or 4 to keep it under control.

Also, it's recommended to take a backup of /var/adm/sw/save onto a tape before you use the cleanup command.

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
S.K. Chan
Honored Contributor

Running with the -c 1 will display all patches that have been superseded at least one time and then prompt for removal of their rollback information. And yes you can move /var/adm/sw/save to a bigger filesystem.
Darrell Allen
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Richard,

In the past when I was tight on space in /var, I copied /var/adm/sw/save to a filesystem with more space, removed /var/adm/sw/save, then created a symbolic (soft) link in /var/adm/sw pointing to the "copied" save directory. It worked for me.

It would be best I think to make /var larger (or whatever filesystem /var/adm/sw/save is in).

Darrell
"What, Me Worry?" - Alfred E. Neuman (Mad Magazine)
Deshpande Prashant
Honored Contributor

HI Richard
I agree with Sridhar.
I prefer to commit the patches that are atleast superseeded twice. If space is becoming crunch, creat seperate file system for /var/../save directory.

Thanks.
Prashant.
Take it as it comes.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Richard:

If you like you can even move the entire /var filesystem to another volume group. It does not have to be in vg00.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Richard:

My preference is to (re)size /var to accomodate patch maintenance. I generally run 'cleanup' to commit patches (-c 1), but I do this immediately *before* a patch session to (1) gain space; and (2) to provide a foundation to which to return if all goes "south".

Regards!

...JRF...
Mary Ann Lipa
Valued Contributor

Hi Richard,

We all seldom crunch for space on /var. as Darrel suggests you can move /var/adm/sw/save to a filesystem with a bigger space, and then create a symbolic link in /var/adm/sw pointing to the new sw/save directory. Better yet, make /var larger for future 'expansions'

d_b
Which is worse, smoking or picking your nose in a public place?
Mary Ann Lipa
Valued Contributor

Hi Richard,

We all often crunch for space on /var FS, and as Darrel suggested you move /var/adm/sw/save to another filesystem with much larger space, and create a symbolic link in /var/adm/sw pointing to the new save directory. Better yet allow a much bigger FS for /var, extend, extend, extend...

d_b
Mary Ann Lipa
Valued Contributor

oooops got that http404 again... sorry for the double replies

:-9