New Discussion юеВ

cleanup for HP-UX11i

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rosli Ahmad
Frequent Advisor

cleanup for HP-UX11i

Hi,
I'm running out of space in /var and in urgent needs to cleanup the /var/adm/sw/save. I believe the 'cleanup' utility would do the job but it's available in my system. I wonder where can I get the utility or it's not available for HP-UX B.11.11. Also, what are the options for cleanup. thank you.

regards
Rosli Ahmad
5 REPLIES 5
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: cleanup for HP-UX11i

You can get the cleanup command by downloading and installing patch PHCO_27780. This patch has no dependencies and does *NOT* require a reboot.
http://www1.itrc.hp.com/service/patch/patchDetail.do?BC=patch.breadcrumb.main|patch.breadcrumb.search|&patchid=PHCO_27780&context=hpux:800:11:11

Once it is installed do a 'man cleanup' for details on the command.

The easiest way to reclaim space is to commit patches that have been superseded a number of times. I would start with 2 or 3 and see how much space that would reclaim. You can preview the actions by using the -p option.

# cleanup -p -c 2

Will show you all patches that have been superseded 2 times and how space it will free.

If you want to do the same for all patches that have been superseded 1 time, you can do:

# cleanup -p -c 1

Note that if you do that you will have limited patch rollback abilities.

Once you decide on exactly how you want to do it, just omit the '-p' option and the patches will be cleaned up.
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

If you load PHCO_27780 this should contain the cleanup utility.
http://www2.itrc.hp.com/service/patch/patchDetail.do?BC=patch.breadcrumb.pdb|patch.breadcrumb.search|&patchid=PHCO_27780&context=hpux:800:11:11
It should get loaded into /usr/sbin

# cleanup -c 1
should assist

Also look at cleaning up the /var/adm/sw directory logs, /var/tmp and /var/adm areas.
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

man cleanup

It's available on your system but you need to add /usr/sbin to your root's $PATH in .profile.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Rosli Ahmad
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Patrick & Michael, I'll download the patch and run the cleanup accordingly. thanks.

regards
Rosli Ahmad
Tariq Shah
Advisor

Michael -c 1 wil not allow a rollback, should do at least -c 2 to allow at least one rollback.
wysiwyg is for wimps