3120 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

cloning hard drives - HP-UX

SOLVED
Go to solution
RLord

cloning hard drives - HP-UX

Hi, I received this email from a friend and while I've had some experience with sun hardware/software, I haven't worked with HP-UX.
And I don't know if hardware changes (like the cdrom, and other interfaces) would be an issue.. could anyone help out here?

here is the email.. and I don't yet know what flavor/level of HP-UX he is talking about yet, not sure if that's relevant.

We are working on a project where we are upgrading some HP9000/382 and HP9000/700 series computers to HP C3600. The OP System is Unix. The ground up load is working fine for us. We have the desire to clone the drives and just plug them into future computers so the replication process is easier. Before we started acquiring an inventory of C3600, we were looking for input on the following.

It would be our intention to match the hardware as closely as possible, but would like to know if there is flexibility in this. Our intent would be to buy say 1 dozen of the same make, model and size hard drive. We would clone 11 off the original that we load from scratch. Assuming we plug each drive into the solo chassis for testing, everything should be fine there, so long as we cloned properly. So let's for the moment say we have that down.

The question that has arisen is, let's say all of the machines were the same (the 12) except for the CD ROM Drive. Let's say they were all meant to work in the C3600, but there might be variations in the make or model. Would plugging the hard drive into a second machine where the CD ROM hardware differed from the first cause the Unix Kernel not to recognize the CD ROM Drive?

This is one example. We are trying to see where we have flexibility in the hardware build and where we do not with the cloned drives being a constant and the "C3600" being the consistent end result, but the parts that make the C3600 potentially varying. We would assume that so long as the ram was the same, that any RAM made for C3600 would work so long as the size was kept the same from build to build. Wondering about other pieces like SCSi controller, monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc.

If you would not mind, could you comment on the areas you might think we would run into the "compatibility" issue we are thinking of. Like hard drives. Anything that turned out to be an issue, our solution would be to horde as many like pieces of hardware as needed to get the 12 computers running and the same. someone did point out that we would have to edit each machine with the individual serial numbers of the GPIB boards used. Any info you can help with would be appreciated.
9 REPLIES 9
Bhadresh
Trusted Contributor

Re: cloning hard drives - HP-UX

Hi,

please have a look at "successful system cloning using Ignite-Ux" document:

http://docs.hp.com/en/5992-6611/5992-6611.pdf

Regards,
Bhadresh
Bhadresh
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

Also have a look at following thread:

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=830292

Regards,
Bhadresh
nightwich
Valued Contributor

Hi Rlord

I think your best option to do this is cloning it Ignite UX.

I already tried and everything went fine with this setup.

The trick is that you have to specified that you are cloning from diferent hardware.

Regards...
V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

Hi,

if you change from HP9000/700 series computers to HP C3600 you'll have more hardware problems.
You'll have the wrong graphics driver, also scsi-pathes will differ, I think.
When we changed to c-class we did one ws from cd, then add the datas.
Then you can use ignite or just 'dd' the drives. With 'dd' you have to change the system configuration by hand ...

HTH
V.

*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
RLord

thanks for the replies..

as for the cloning, it does look like using ignite will be best.. thanks..

the main concern is if the hardware (if hardware is different) will work ok without having to modify anything.

I would think that if it's only the cdrom drive that differs, it won't pose any problem. Memory is also probably a "don't care" either it being different vendor or size.. However other hardware, I'm not sure..

@nightwich .. you said "The trick is that you have to specified that you are cloning from diferent hardware."

what exactly do you mean?
that when you are making the clone, you can specify hardware changes?
or that you have the ability to specify hardware changes before dumping the clone onto a new hard drive?

@V. Nyga
these computers will be interfaced to test equitment, (ATE to test semiconductors) the first system computer software will be installed "manually".. it's been done before in the field so we don't expect problems.. but cloning the drives for use in the next 11 systems, they won't want to be configuring by hand if there are too many variables.. but in the off chance that the clones don't work as expected and have to manually configure, can you lead me to any documentation on how/what would need to be done?

thanks again..
Bhadresh
Trusted Contributor

>> thanks for the replies..

Refer the following link which says how you can thank the forum -
http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#28

Good luck with cloning hard drives.

Regards,
Bhadresh
V. Nyga
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi again,

well, I had problems with ignite even between C3600 and C3750, because of graphic configuration.
With cloning, in general, you have to disconnect the source ws before booting the clone, otherwise you may have network problems (identical ip's in the net).
After boot just do a 'set_parms initial' and set a new hostname and ip-address, then the ws will reboot.
This you don't need with ignite.

HTH
V.
V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

P.S.
Different cd-rom drives will NOT be your problem. HP-UX is not so driver related like m$. Not all drives (at the it market) will work, but all sold by HP for UX-ws will work.
RLord

sorry I've been late in getting back to you fine folks.. been way too busy. I think you've pretty much answered what I need to know for now. If my friend has any further questions I'll post back here again.

thanks and I've assigned points